Newest Review: ... cafe next to the castle which is incorporated where you can enjoy a cup of tea of coffee with some light lunches before or after you visit... more
The historical castle of oxford
Oxford Castle Unlocked (Oxford)
Member Name: ruthosborne1
Oxford Castle Unlocked (Oxford)
Advantages: Detailed history, great actors and costumes, cheap, interesting
Disadvantages: Some areas are unsuitable for the disabled and small children
A fabulous experience for all the family and a great day out to go to in oxford.
We recently visited the castle at oxford and the experience to go into the castle itself and have a walked tour was this, oxford castle unlocked. Upon our arrival we were a little shocked as to how small the castle was but it certainly didnt deter us from going in and enjoying the tour. The surroundings are beautiful and there is a very plesant cafe next to the castle which is incorporated where you can enjoy a cup of tea of coffee with some light lunches before or after you visit the castle at reasonable prices.
The cost to go into the castle is approx £8 for adults and £6 for children.
Upon paying for tickets you have to wait for the next tour which can be anything from 10 minutes to half an hour however this is no problem and once ready the tour guide dressed up takes you into the castle. The initial part of the tour consists of a talk in the entrance and a short film before people can climb to the top of the tower. Please note however that if you have small children the tower is not allowed to be entered with them as the steps are to old and far to steep. However each parent can take it in turns to go up, so you dont miss out.
You are then taken down to the crypt/vault which is interesting again we were shocked at how tiny this was but incredibly beautiful and magical and a place to visit for sure. Note that the floor is very unbalanced therefore suitable footware is required.
The prison is then toured with commentary and this is very interesting but after the speeches you are allowed to wander yourself and go back through into areas apart from the tower as this needs to be supervised but overall free to look around the rest of the castle.
It has some fascinating artefacts and interesting history. It took us a couple of hours to go round the whole castle and we very much enjoyed it. Certainly one for the family day out if you are visiting oxford.
Summary: A great day out for the family
More reviews in the field of Museum National
- Black Country Living Museum- No1 Midlands attraction
- A Steamy Glimpse into Bath's Past
- Go back in time.
- A chocoholic's dream, or is it?
- The Tower of London - a brilliant place to become immersed in British history fo ...
- Your invitation to Hogwarts
- The Titanic Experience Belfast-Well Worth a Visit Informative and Surprisingly E ...
- Stepping back in time at the Churchill War Rooms in London
- An Air Adventure, Without ever leaving the ground.
- A star attraction
- Atlantis Gallery (London)
- Aeroventure Museum (Doncaster)
- The Crystal (London)
- The Dinosaur Museum (Dorchester)
- Dinosaurland Fossil Museum (Dorset)
- Life and Death Pompeii and Herculaneum (London)
- Andy Warhol (London)
- Mario Testino Portraits (London)
- Paris: Capital of the Arts 1900 - 1968 (London)
- Gladstone Pottery Museum (Stoke-on-Trent)