Newest Review: ... where the museum is, if you get the Ferries timed right. So I arrived at lunch time, and first visited the restaurant. The restaurant wa... more
Museum of the far north
Shetland Museum (Shetland)
Member Name: sax_man_al
Shetland Museum (Shetland)
Advantages: Free entry, interesting displays, good restaurant
Disadvantages: None inparticular
This is my third summer working in Shetland, and the museum was one of those places I missed out the first year I was here. The second summer however I found myself in Lerwick on a, how shall we put it, a not too pleasant day, and it was quite a treat!
I work at Hermaness NNR on Unst, which is at the far north of Shetland and about 2hrs drive from Lerwick where the museum is, if you get the Ferries timed right. So I arrived at lunch time, and first visited the restaurant.
The restaurant was very pleasant, with a nice view out into the harbour. The food was absolutely delicious, and there was a good variety of shetland style food on offer. I had the cullen skink, and it was delicious, I didn't find the food too expensive, but then it wasn't cheap either.
The museum was free to go in, which is always a bonus. The museum is nicely done out inside, with a great big piece of wood making up the reception desk. The shop is also here directly opposite the entrance and has a variety of items for sale, there are some really nice postcards.
In the displays there are a lot of interesting items, and plenty of information panels to provide an afternoons browsing. These items range from traditional shawls, shetland, unst especially is famous for it's ultra fine spun wool, all the way to various traditional boats.
During the summer there is the opportunity to go out in a replica boat, and they also have a large shed where they restore and build traditional replica boats.
Definately worth a visit, and will be the first place I take my parents and grandma when they come up to visit this summer, will be a perfect lunch stop after picking them up from Sumburgh mid morning!
Summary: Good place to go and see some Shetland history
More reviews in the field of Museum National
- Scotland's Art Collection
- A Steamy Glimpse into Bath's Past
- Go back in time.
- Excellent museum with some very famous historical artefacts to see and learn abo ...
- The Tower of London - a brilliant place to become immersed in British history fo ...
- The historical castle of oxford
- The Old Operating Theatre and Herb Garret
- Your invitation to Hogwarts
- Local city museum
- Titanic museum
- Aeroventure Museum (Doncaster)
- The Crystal (London)
- The Herschel Museum of Astronomy
- The Dinosaur Museum (Dorchester)
- Cambridge & County Folk Museum
- The Dickens House Museum (England)
- Victoria and Albert Museum (London)
- Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum (London)
- Design Museum (London)
- Florence Nightingale Museum (London)