Newest Review: ... you. It is host to lots of historical war fighting equipment, from clothes to smaller weaponry, to obviously tanks. The tanks on show time... more
The Tank Museum, Bovington
Tank Museum (Dorset)
Member Name: johnt
Tank Museum (Dorset)
Date: 29/09/00, updated on 29/09/00 (129 review reads)
Advantages: largest display of tanks,well laid out
We visited the Tank Museum in Dorset this week. If you are in the area on holiday this is well worth a visit.
The army's tank training and testing range is based at Bovington, all the army's tank crews undertake their training here.
The museum was founded in 1919 and has the worlds largest collection of historic tanks.There are 150 tanks on display, each section is dedicated to a particular period. From the original WW1 tanks through to todays tanks are displayed together with videos and information about each model. Many of the tanks are open for you to look inside, allowing a rare glimpse inside these machines.
The museum is not just about static displays, when we went they put on a show of armoured personnel carriers and two tanks, a WW2 Sherman and a modern Chieftan tank. These shows are infrequent so check before going as they are worth seeing. Many of the older tanks are also undergoing restoration to make them roadworthy again. The collection and display take about 3 - 4 hours to see, this is a must for anyone who is / was interested in the military.
The site is well laid out, there is also a good cafe/restaurant and a shop selling tank memorabilia. Their website is www.tankmuseum.co.uk and a family ticket is £18.30.
More reviews in the field of Museum National
- Mary Arden’s House – except that it isn't !!
- Educate yourself
- Vinopolis - For lovers of wine
- I don’t know owt about art . . .
- London Transport Museum – for those interested in buses, tubes and trams
- Lions, bears and Highland cows
- Edwards Heath's last gift to the public
- A fabulous Freebie Day Out for the family
- Behind the scenes of Harry Potter - Phenomenal
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery
- Grey Point Fort (Northern Ireland)
- Birnham Arrts & Conference Centre
- Hornby Visitor Centre (Kent)
- Chesters Roman Fort and Museum (Hadrians Wall)
- Northamptonshire Ironstone Railway Museum
- Horniman Museum and Gardens
- The Dinosaur Museum (Dorchester)
- Dinosaurland Fossil Museum (Dorset)
- Life and Death Pompeii and Herculaneum (London)
- Gallery of Modern Art (Glasgow)