Newest Review: ... you. It is host to lots of historical war fighting equipment, from clothes to smaller weaponry, to obviously tanks. The tanks on show time... more
The tank musuem, Dorset
Tank Museum (Dorset)
Member Name: goldenchild
Tank Museum (Dorset)
Date: 31/07/00, updated on 31/07/00 (59 review reads)
Advantages: Loads of different features
Disadvantages: a bit too much for one day.
O.K so a tank museum doesn't sound very interesting, but honestly this is a good one if you have a spare day at the end of the week. The best days to go are Thursdays and Fridays when there's a show involving mock battles with pyrotechnics and a range of armoured vehicles. The show starts at midday and goes on until about one. The best thing to do is turn up, watch the show, have lunch at the restaurant next door and then look around the museum in the afternoon. Although this is a tank museum the first display is solely based on WW1 as you walk into an army recruiting office before going through the battered streets of France and then onto a very realistic trench mock up. Background sound tracks add to the realism of the mock ups of both British and German trenches. After the trenches the tank display begins which predictably starts off with WW1 tanks, moving on to mechanisation in the twenties and W.W.II tanks, including an explanation of amphibious tanks. From this the display moves on to tanks used in Borneo, Korea and Vietnam as well as many Russian and modern British tanks, including the Challenger. Also included are a Challenger simulator and an audio visual display. Lastly don't miss out the balcony towards the end, which features a range of swords, guns and antitank weapons.
More reviews in the field of Museum National
- As interesting as portraits can be.
- Well worth the walk
- Scottish history on 6 floors
- Taming the new...
- The old and the new
- The Titanic Experience Belfast-Well Worth a Visit Informative and Surprisingly E ...
- Stepping back in time at the Churchill War Rooms in London
- A star attraction
- Very Interesting Martime Musem
- Discover the magic behind the magic
- The Hull Maritime Museum (Hull)
- Grey Point Fort (Northern Ireland)
- Birnham Arrts & Conference Centre
- Hornby Visitor Centre (Kent)
- Chesters Roman Fort and Museum (Hadrians Wall)
- Denis Severs House (London)
- Almond Valley Heritage Trust (Livingston)
- Life and Death Pompeii and Herculaneum (London)
- Sudbury Hall (Sudbury, Derbyshire)
- Seven Stories Centre for Children's Books (Newcastle)