Newest Review: ... and giving up, we eventually found the entrance and walked into the spectacular Turbine Hall. In hindsight (after finding the front of th... more
The nicest disused power station I've ever seen!
Tate Modern (London)
Member Name: speculator
Tate Modern (London)
Date: 29/09/00, updated on 29/09/00 (11 review reads)
Advantages: well-located, free entry
Disadvantages: The content may not be everyone's cup of tea
I originally thought the gallery was in some dodgy area, an industrial wasteland never visited by man nor beast. Instead it's practically in the centre of London - just across the river from St Paul's cathedral. It's also right beside the "Shakespeare's Globe" exhibition, so if you don't like the modern then you can check out something historical instead!
Entry is free, and once you get inside you realise how big the place actually is. It's MASSIVE, and there's tons of stuff to see.
I'm no fan of modern art, but some of it is so off-the-wall you can't help but admire the [slightly twisted] minds that come up with it. And if you take the escalators up to the 4th [?] floor there's a great view of the city.
Hey, it's free. Take a look around - if you don't like it, at least you haven't spent money on it. And if you do like it? Tell'em I sent you.
More reviews in the field of Museum National
- Mary Arden’s House – except that it isn't !!
- I don’t know owt about art . . .
- London Transport Museum – for those interested in buses, tubes and trams
- The Tank Museum, Bovington
- War in the C20th
- Scotland's Art Collection
- The Old Operating Theatre and Herb Garret
- A museum for D-day and the overlord embroidery,
- Local city museum
- Titanic museum
- Grey Point Fort (Northern Ireland)
- Birnham Arrts & Conference Centre
- Chesters Roman Fort and Museum (Hadrians Wall)
- Serpentine Gallery (London)
- Dinosaurland Fossil Museum (Dorset)
- Life and Death Pompeii and Herculaneum (London)
- Natural History Museum (London)
- Victoria & Albert (London)
- Museum of London (London)
- Imperial War Museum (London)