Newest Review: ... windows and exposed brick on display inside. There is a small gift shop dowstairs stocking a well priced range of quirky gifts (if you c... more
The Lighthouse - museum of design
The Lighthouse (Glasgow)
Member Name: floor
The Lighthouse (Glasgow)
Advantages: Great exhibitions, interesting space, cool shop
I LOVE the Lighthouse - and now it's FREE on a Saturday! Fantastic! But this is a review, so I need to tell you why it floats my boat.
Well, first off I love the deisgn. As a museum of architecture and design it had to be good - and it has a lovely, airy feel. A mash-up of a new building and an existing one, with original windows and exposed brick on display inside. There is a small gift shop dowstairs stocking a well priced range of quirky gifts (if you can bear to part with them) and cards and a larger shop upstairs selling some more high-end items (fancy a little Marimekko fabric, anyone?)
Upstairs there are two galleries with ever-changing exhibitions and one with a static Charles Rennie Mackintosh exhibition. The CRM Gallery has a very comprehensive review of his work, with pictures, models and video clips. It also has a spiral staircase which leads up to the top of the Daily Record Tower - one of his designs and the original owners of the building. It looks like a daunting clib, but once up there the view is well worth it!
Last time I visited Gallery 1 had an exhibition of new designers works - all well labelled and displayed and Gallery 2 had turned into a knitted wonderland, courtesy of Donna Wilson. I was really taken with this and when I requested a poster from the staff they went out of their way to find one for me.
Unfortunately I can't comment on the food or drink because I haven't eaten there - but it smells great!
Before you leave, head up to the Viewing Gallery via the lift and chill out for a bit high above the city.
Summary: Always worth a visit - especially now it's free on Saturdays!
More reviews in the field of Museum National
- A day out for a great piece of history!
- There's a ship on the horizon with deep sea diving!
- A lovely day out
- Glasgow Transport Museum
- The Burrell Collection
- A Hidden Treasure(r)
- Lions, bears and Highland cows
- Edwards Heath's last gift to the public
- A fabulous Freebie Day Out for the family
- Behind the scenes of Harry Potter - Phenomenal
- Aeroventure Museum (Doncaster)
- The Crystal (London)
- Hornby Visitor Centre (Kent)
- Chesters Roman Fort and Museum (Hadrians Wall)
- The Herschel Museum of Astronomy
- Mary Arden's House & Shakespeare Countryside Museum (Stratford-upon-Avon)
- Dali Universe (London)
- Shakespeares Globe Theatre Exhibition (London)
- Theatre Museum (London)
- The Rose Theatre (London)