Newest Review: ... currently £7.90. There are other family concessions and deals. There is a gift aid deal giving your some discount on purchasing food in... more
W5: Worth it?
Member Name: tiaw
Date: 24/05/10, updated on 24/05/10 (36 review reads)
Advantages: Temporary fun
Disadvantages: Not enough to warrant the entry fee (in my opinion)
"W5" stands for "Who, what, where, when, why?" or something to that effect. It is located in Belfast, and more specifically in the Odyssey pavillion, by the River Lagan.
Getting there is easy enough. It's only a 15 minute walk from the City Centre, or alternatively you can get a taxi.
Entry is £7 for adults, £5 for children and family tickets are available.
But i'm guessing what you're really interested is whether it's worth the rather hefty fee?
The answer, in short, is borderline. There are three levels of interactive exhibits, science displays, optical illusions and everything fun (and often not so fun) to a child. There is even an area specifically catered towards young children - meant to engage their senses.
In total, I reckon a family could spend about 2-3 hours (tops) in W5. The exhibits are nicely presented and laid out, but most only grab the attention of kids for about a minute, before quickly moving on. Some don't even warrant the brief stop.
It is definitely a nice treat and a pleasant visit, but if you have a large family i'd be wary of spending the vast sums of money needed to take them all. It is probably best if you are only taking one or two people, and certainly wise to avoid weekends or holidays.
In conclusion, just give a bit of thought to whether you want to spend the money going to something that will only hold attention for a short time, and that most people will walk away thinking "it was alright, but hardly awe inspiring".
Don't get me wrong, it's not bad at all - just not terribly special.
Summary: not bad at all - just not terribly special.
More reviews in the field of Museum National
- Go deep into the caves in Hastings
- Natural History Museum - A fascinating look at the world in which we live!
- The Roman Bath Museum
- Imperial War Museum - a life changing visit!
- Brilliant trains!
- 1st Class Experience
- Toddler to granny. . . .toys for everyone!
- I didn't believe it . . . until I saw it!
- You haven't been a tourist in Cardiff if you haven't been here..
- History of the democratic people!
- Mallaig Heritage Centre (Scotland)
- Aeroventure Museum (Doncaster)
- The Crystal (London)
- The Herschel Museum of Astronomy
- The Dinosaur Museum (Dorchester)
- Cambridge & County Folk Museum
- Church Farm Museum (Skegness)
- Helena Thompson Museum (Workington)
- The Fitzwilliam Museum (Cambridge)
- Pontefract Museum (Pontefract)