* Prices may differ from that shownMore Offers
So how have I come to be listening to these CD's?
I wasn't a really a great fan of alot of the 80's stuff, so really wouldn't have gone out to buy this set of tracks of my own accord - My daughter had been given this last month for her birthday and having fab CD player in her car decided to keep it in there for listening to, on her journeys home.
I was being treated by her to a mother's day lunch out (wow I'M NOT DRIVING HER - SHE'S DRIVING ME!! )and before I knew it she had slipped a disc into her player and the magical sounds of The Bangles - Walk like an Egyptians start pelting out.
Prices and availablity
As I mentioned earlier, my daughter had this for a present but I have looked on the net and here's where & how much you can get it.
Amazon are selling it £8.99 at the mo with free delivery and the set is usually despatched within 24hours.
Not bad. However,
ASDA direct have slashed the price down to £6.93 with free delivery.
Play.com are also selling the set from used copies starting at £6.48 to new ones at £6.99.
So for you 80's fans a bargain considering there are 5 discs with 100 tracks in total.
The 5 discs come in a compact CD plastic case that holds all 5 discs. This is contained within a flexible cardboard sleeve cover that is sealed at one end so the case doesn't slide straight out. A good feature if you are leaving them in a side section of the car that can cause 'sliding' of objects as you turn a corner.
The graphics of the covers are simple with white backgrounds and basic black / grey bold printing displaying the title. I did smile when looking at the 8 artists, the advertising company have chosen as the 'highlighted artists' for the selling point of the front cover.
They are :
Rick Astley (a one hit wonder)
The Pretenders ( yeah ok can see they are a good choice),
Haircut 100 (hmm cut out please),
Bananarama ( fab bring on the girls)
Dollar ( oh no - please not them!)
Fairground Atrraction (!!!!),
Wham (yeah ok, not my cuppa tea but they did have some major hits) and finally -
The Bangles ( they were ok actually - not around for long but some pretty good tracks and videos to accompany the hits.
Well for those of you old enough to remember these guys would you seriously buy this set based on these 8 artists being the top guys in the set - not me!
So after watching my daughter singing her head off, to stuff I used to run from the dance floor from, I grabbed the cover to search the back listings for something I could possibly reminisce fondly on. Well, quite frankly I was struggling - but then as I said earlier wasn't a fan of this era.
Of the 100 tracks on here I could only find these I liked and they were on separate discs so my daughter wasn't impressed with me wanted to change and skip through her disc - hmm how the tables have turned - used to be me grinding my teeth as she would keep taking my 'tapes' out of the player whilst I was driving.
The Pretenders - Don't get me wrong. (Brilliant as is all their stuff)
Bananarama - Robert De Niro's waiting (classic)
Terence Trent D'Arby - Wishing Well (fab, bril, one to listen to)
Bad Manners - Special Brew (oh at last a great one)
Bananaraman - Shy Boy (not their best but ok)
Howard Jones - What is Love? (hmm, had forgotten about this one - worth remember because the beat is fast yet smooth)
The Pointer Sisters - Jump for my love (and if you've read my Running Songs review - you will know why I like this one)
The Four Tops - Loco In Acapuloc ( from the classic movie Buster and a great hit)
The Beat - Mirror in the Bathroom (fast and fab reminder of my days as a Ska girl)
Bad Manners - Lip Up Fatty ( as above and just loved these guys)
Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy ( I have a couple of their albums and love them)
This was my first introduction to the set with...
The Bangles - Walk Like An Egyptian (the video to this was bril, the track catchy and one for the karaoke night.
The Stranglers - Skin Deep (Have always been a big fan so was impressed to see this here although not their biggest hit)
Echo & The Bunnymen - The Cutter (really surprised this track was chosen for this and as they had some far better hits that could have been selected)
Stray Cats - Stray Cat Strut - (I think this track was the only bit hit the band had - it is a good one and was a different sound for the time - very swing/ rockabilly)
Fine Young Cannibals - Johnny Come Home ( another hit from the FYC)
The Beat - Hands Off...She's Mine. (A good track, but maybe not to everyone's taste)
Pretenders - Back On The Chain Gang ( fab one to finish with)
So what tracks you get for your dosh? Here are the full track listings...
1. A-Ha - Take On Me
2. Bucks Fizz - The Land Of Make Believe
3. Men At Work - Down Under
4. The Pretenders - Don't Get Me Wrong
5. Bananarama - Robert De Niro's Waiting
6. Aztec Camera - Somewhere In My Heart
7. The Belle Stars - Sign Of The Times
8. Terence Trent D'Arby - Wishing Well
9. Rick Astley - Whenever You Need Somebody
10. Spagna - Call Me
11. Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now
12. The Bluebells - Young At Heart
13. Altered Images - Don't Talk To Me About Love
14. Boy Meets Girl - Waiting For A Star To Fall
15. Howard Jones - Like To Get To Know You Well
16. Eighth Wonder - I'm Not Scared
17. Dollar - Hand Held In Black And White
18. Aneka - Japanese Boy
19. Blancmange - Living On The Ceiling
20. Haysi Fantayzee - John Wayne Is Big Leggy
1. Wham! - Wham Rap!
2. Fairground Attraction - Perfect
3. Dollar - Mirror Mirror
4. Bad Manners - Special Brew
5. A-Ha - The Sun Always Shine's On T.V.
6. Bananarama - Shy Boy
7. Fiction Factory - (Feels Like) Heaven
8. Bros - When Will I Be Famous?
9. Haircut 100 - Fantastic Day
10. Hollywood Beyond - What's The Colour Of Money?
11. Howard Jones - What Is Love?
12. Owen Paul - My Favourite Waste Of Time
13. Nick Kamen - Each Time You Break My Heart
14. Landscape - Einstein A Go-Go
15. Martika - Toy Soldiers
16. Kiki Dee - Star
17. Lotus Eaters - The First Picture Of You
18. Matt Bianco - Half A Minute
19. Paul Young - Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home)
20. Rah Band - Clouds Across The Moon
1. Nena - 99 Red Balloons
2. Taylor Dayne - Tell It To My Heart
3. The Belle Stars - Iko Iko
4. The Pointer Sisters - Jump For My Love
5. The Four Tops - Loco In Acapulco
6. The Beat - Mirror In The Bathroom
7. Michael McDonald - Sweet Freedom
8. Lisa Lisa - I Wonder If I Take You Home
9. Kon Kan - I Beg Your Pardon
10. Farley 'Jackmaster' Funk - Love Can't Turn Around
11. Communards - You Are My World
12. Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
13. Dead Or Alive - That's The Way (I Like It)
14. Bad Manners - Lip Up Fatty
15. Debbie Gibson - Shake Your Love
16. Bomb The Bass - Beat Dis
17. Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
18. Timex Social Club - Rumors
19. Yes - Owner Of A Lonely Heart
20. Los Lobos - La Bamba
1. Bangles - Walk Like An Egyptian
2. John Oates - I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)
3. Kenny Loggins - Footloose
4. John Farnham - You're The Voice
5. Freiheit - Keeping The Dream Alive
6. Dream Academy - Life In A Northern Town
7. The Cars - Drive
8. King - Love And Pride
9. The Steve Miller Band - Abracadabra
10. Hothouse Flowers - Don't Go
11. The Stranglers - Skin Deep
12. Jesus And Mary Chain - Some Candy Talking
13. Echo And The Bunnymen - The Cutter
14. The Range - The Way It Is
15. Deacon Blue - Real Gone Kid
16. Christopher Cross - Ride Like The Ride
17. Stray Cats - Stray Cat Strut
18. Matchbox - When You Ask About Love
19. Department S - Is Vic There?
20. Chas And Dave - Rabbit
1. Aztec Camera - Oblivious
2. Blow Monkeys - Digging Your Scene
3. Furniture - Brilliant Mind
4. Fine Young Cannibals - Johnny Come Home
5. The Psychedelic Furs - Pretty In Pink
6. Dee C Lee - See The Day
7. Bow Wow Wow - I Want Candy
8. Japan - Quiet Life
9. Blancmange - Don't Tell Me
10. The Primitives - Crash
11. The Beat - Hands Off...She's Mine
12. Bluebells - I'm Falling
13. The Pogues - Dirty Old Town
14. Susan Fassbender - Twilight Cafe
15. Pretenders - Back On The Chain Gang
16. Latin Quarter - Radio Africa
17. Jo Boxers - Boxerbeat
18. Everything But The Girl - I Don't Want To Talk About It
19. Carmel - Bad Day
20. Westworld - Sonic Boom Boy
As you can see I not a huge fan of this box set of 80's tracks - although
my daughter is. Of the 100 tracks on here I would only really have listened to 18 maybe 20 of the whole listing. So for me not something I would go out and buy.
Have just seen 'Push It' advertised - sounds abit more like it so will be looking out for that one. This was a little disappointing for me but then so were the 80's.
If you were a massive fan of this era then, you will probably sing your head off to this whole set - if however, you're not then steer clear.
Thanks for reading
X hev (also on ciao)
I have bought several of these one hundred hits of the you know what series, mainly because they are great value for money and a lot of the songs are really worth having. There are a handful of ones that you might go 'hmm' over but on the whole, the series is consistent and high in quality.
There are some downright obvious ones, like Aha's 'Take On Me' which seems to be on every eighties album ever released, though granted it is a bonefide pop song and Harket's shrill vocal is always a treat. Then, there are some suprises and this is where the album excels. I cite The Pretenders; Chrissie Hynde's casual vocals thrill at every turn. It is also great to see Spagna's synth driven 'Call Me appear. The Italian woman may have only had a handful of hits, but such a catchy chorus!
Some bizarre choices in the form of 'John Wayne Is Big Leggy' by Haysi Fantayzee and 'Living On The Ceiling' by Blancmange, both of which I had never even heard of.
There is a good dose of solid pop though, Bananarama, Wham and Bros will please those who liked the SAW sound of the eighties. While the lesser known Martika and Paul Owen crop up with some great forgotten gems. 'My Favourite Waste Of Time' is a nifty little pop tune with an addictive chorus.
If you fancy more dance orientated stuff, then Bomb The Bass and Farley Jackmaster Funk deliver too blindingly strong numbers. The latter is a great merge of disco, funk and pop on 'Love Can't Turn Around.' For those who like their music a little more refined, Terrence Trent D'arby's silky and purring vocals are enough to make a grown man shiver on 'Wishing Well' and 'Drive' by the Cars is an exercise in ballad brilliance with a haunting and evocative air. It always brings a tear to my eye as I picture single people driving around in their cars on their own, searching for a loved one.
This is a superb eighties set and for just over five quid is well worth buying.
Disc #1 Tracklisting
1 Take On Me - A-Ha
2 Land Of Make Believe - Bucks Fizz
3 Down Under - Men At Work
4 Don't Get Me Wrong - Pretenders (1)
5 Robert De Niro's Waiting (1) - Bananarama
6 Somewhere In My Heart - Aztec Camera
7 Wishing Well - D'Arby, Terence Trent
8 Wishing Well (1) - D'Arby, Terence Trent
9 Whenever You Need Somebody - Astley, Rick
10 Call Me - Spagna
11 Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins
12 Young At Heart - Bluebells (1)
13 Don't Talk To Me About Love - Altered Images
14 Waiting For A Star To Fall - Boy Meets Girl
15 Like To Know To Get To Know You Well - Jones, Howard (1)
16 I'm Not Scared - Eighth Wonder (1)
17 Hand Held In Black And White - Dollar
18 Japanese Boy - Aneka
19 Living On The Ceiling - Blancmange
20 John Wayne Is Big Leggy - Haysi Fantayzee
Disc #2 Tracklisting
1 Wham Rap - Wham
2 Perfect - Fairground Attraction
3 Mirror Mirror - Dollar
4 Special Brew - Bad Manners (1)
5 Sun Always Shines On TV - A-Ha
6 Shy Boy - Bananarama
7 Feels Like Heaven - Fiction Factory
8 When Will I Be Famous - Bros
9 Fantastic Day - Haircut 100
10 What's The Colour Of Money - Hollywood Beyond
11 What Is Love - Jones, Howard (1)
12 My Favourite Waste Of Time - Paul, Owen
13 Each Time You Break My Heart - Kamen, Nick
14 Einstein A Go-Go - Landscape
15 Toy Soldiers - Martika
16 Star - Dee, Kiki
17 First Picture Of You - Lotus Eaters (1)
18 Half A Minute - Matt Bianco
19 Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home) - Young, Paul
20 Clouds Across The Room - Rah Band
Disc #3 Tracklisting
1 99 Red Balloons - Nena
2 Tell It To My Heart - Dayne, Taylor
3 Iko Iko - Belle Stars
4 Jump For My Love - Pointer Sisters
5 Loco In Acapulco - Four Tops
6 Mirror In The Bathroom - Beat (1)
7 Sweet Freedom - McDonald, Michael
8 I Wonder If I Take You Home - Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam
9 I Beg Your Pardon - Kon Kan
10 Love Can't Turn Around - Farley 'Jackmaster' Funk & Darryl Pandy
11 You Are My World - Communards
12 Smalltown Boy - Bronski Beat
13 That's The Way (I Like It) - Dead Or Alive
14 Lip Up Fatty - Bad Manners (1)
15 Shake Your Love - Gibson, Debbie
16 Beat Dis - Bomb The Bass
17 She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals
18 Rumours - Timex Social Club
19 Owner Of A Lonely Heart - Yes
20 La Bamba - Los Lobos
Disc #4 Tracklisting
1 Walk Like An Egyptian - Bangles
2 I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) - Hall & Oates
3 Footloose - Loggins, Kenny
4 You're The Voice - Farnham, John
5 Keeping The Dream Alive - Freiheit
6 LiLife In A Northern Town - Dream Academy
7 Drive - Cars
8 Love And Pride - King (1)
9 Abracadabra - Miller, Steve Band
10 Don't Go - Hothouse Flowers
11 Skin Deep - Stranglers
12 Some Candy Talking - Jesus & Mary Chain
13 Cutter - Echo & The Bunnymen
14 Way It Is - Hornsby, Bruce & The Range
15 Real Gone Kid - Deacon Blue
16 Ride Like The Wind - Cross, Christopher
17 Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats
18 When You Ask About Love - Matchbox (1)
19 Is Vic There - Department S
20 Rabbit - Chas & Dave
Disc #5 Tracklisting
1 Oblivious - Aztec Camera
2 Digging Your Scene - Blow Monkeys
3 Brilliant Mind - Furniture
4 Johnny Come Home - Fine Young Cannibals
5 Pretty In Pink - Psychedelic Furs
6 See The Day - Lee, Dee C.
7 I Want Candy - Bow Wow Wow
8 Quiet Life - Japan
9 Don't Tell Me - Blancmange
10 Crash - Primitives (1)
11 Hands Off She's Mine - Beat (1)
12 I'm Falling - Bluebells (1)
13 Dirty Old Town - Pogues
14 Twilight Cafe - Fassbender, Susan
15 Back On The Chain Gang - Pretenders (1)
16 Radio Africa - Latin Quarter
17 Boxerbeat - Joboxers
18 I Don't Want To Talk About It - Everything But The Girl
19 Bad Day - Carmel (1)
20 Sonic Boom Boy - Westworld (1)