Newest Review: ... to Cullum is a beautiful testiment to the beauty that encapsultes London and ultimately that of modern Britain. 3. Photograph - This i... more
Catch This Album To Hear Some Great Tales
Catching Tales - Jamie Cullum
Member Name: Robin_Hod12
Catching Tales - Jamie Cullum
Advantages: All Originals Tracks That Feature Some Nice Jazzy Instrumentation
Disadvantages: Some Of The Songs Are Similar
Following his two previous albums, whihc consisted mostly of covers, Cullum releases this follow-up which returns the calls for more original pieces and more of the pianist. The way in which he answers them is great and thsi stands easily as my favourite Cullum album and one of my favourite listens. Some may see this record as a step away from some of the jazz sounds on his previous albums, but then this is a modern world that we live in and a new painist and voice is definetly welcome in the deluge of rerun pop music on the radio.
As with his other albums, this does deal with some of the themes and angst associated with youth and how he deals with those situations, involving a lot of narrative tracks whihc suit his style of vocal and the way in which he writes them.
1. Get Your Way - The album opens with this very jazzy piece that combines the instrumental parts with a vocal line that matches the beat and tune well, telling the tale of how the singer is perhaps growing tired of his partner's controling nature.
2. London Skies - This is a very pictruesque song, reminising in the sky over london,which although to some may seem a cloudy smog, to Cullum is a beautiful testiment to the beauty that encapsultes London and ultimately that of modern Britain.
3. Photograph - This is probably my favourite song on the album, containing a great piano part and lyrics, that deal with past childhood memories and the misadventures that entailed from them. This is just his piano to back him, and perhaps this is why i like it so much, as the production is sparse, although it does include a drum part on the chours, but this follows the change in oace of the song.
4. I Only Have Eyes For You - A very touching song that tells of his desire for one person and one person only, beautiful done and some nice nightclub prcouction that makes it feel both errie and serene, sitting in a night time setting, a great song.
5. Nothing I Do - Another track that deals with problem relations and how people deal with. This is a narrative piece that looks at the reaction each has to a situation that draws them apart, again backed by some nice simple jazz musicianship.
6. Mind Trick - This is a song about music and how perhaps it has created the path through which his life has followed, a nice song overall that again comes back to relationships.
7. 21st Century Kid - This is obviously a song about the problems with youth in the modern world and how hard it is to deal with some of the issues and problems that arise in the modern world for the youth of today.
8. I'm Glad There Is You - A softer song that is effectively a love song that feels much more mature and better rounded compared to some of the other tracks. The change in tempo during the track also makes it feel dynamic and adds to the feel of this song.
9. Oh God - A more lyrically complex some that looks at humanity and some of the failures of the systems that we as a race have created, looking for the answers and trying to see some solution to them.
10. Catch The Sun - This is again a softer piece, but i do feel that lyrically and musically this is weaker track than some of the other tracks, relying more on pop than jazz.
11. 7 Days To Change Your Life - A strange song that seems to humour the quick fixes that are offered in the modern world, whether they be maoney or health related. The song takes the form almost as an advert for a made up programme to improve your life, a strange song, but still pretty good.
12. Our Day Will Come - A different track instrumentally that seems almsot dance and californian at the same time, with the lyrics dealing with simple ideas, but the music moving around and upping the dynamic and movement of this song.
13. Back To Ground - The first of a good finishing trio, which again has lots of dynamic changes in the track and a nice vocal and lyrical part that make this a great song. This song seems to deal with a chnage in lifestyle to return to a more stable plane and get away from the rushed lifestyle he lives in now.
14. Fascinating Rhythm - A more classic jazz piece that has some nice musicianship that really makes this little ditty of a track that looks at Cullum's love of rhythm and the effect that it has on him when listening to music.
15. My Yard - A bonus track that makes a nice change from some of the pieces on here, as it uses an acoustic guitar in place of the piano and just talks about an evening in with someone else. This is one of the more upbeat pieces and is a nice track to close the album.
Overall, i love thsi album, and it makes a nice jump from the previous outings to provide more of Cullum's own songs and deals with some more personal issues and looks at how the youth of today deal with the world around them.
Summary: Great Album That Makes A Change From The Monotonous Pop Music On The Radio