* Prices may differ from that shownMore Offers
Despite growing up in the nineties I was never a huge fan of boy bands, but Five (also known as 5ive) - who burst on to the pop scene in 1998 - were an exception. Their songs were funky and catchy and there was barely a ballad to be seen. This collection, released in 2003 after their split, brings together their best songs.
1. We Will Rock You - This is a cover of the Queen song, and I actually think this is a pretty good effort. It brings a new twist to the song with an addition of rap, and introduces a new younger audience to Queen's music. The boys have the attitude to carry this off and it really works.
2. Keep On Movin' - This feelgood anthem is one of my favourite Five songs. It's really upbeat and catchy.
3. If Ya Gettin' Down - A rock-influenced track with a strong beat, this song has lots of attitude.
4. Everybody Get Up - Another of my favourite songs by the band, this track mixes rap and rock and is incredibly catchy.
5. Let's Dance - As the name suggests, this is more of a dance track, which marks a new direction for the band.
6. Rock The Party - Another uptempo song with attitude.
7. Got The Feelin' - Feelgood and laid-back, this song is summery and cheery.
8. When The Lights Go Out - One of the band's earlier hits, this track was a bit naughtier for the time, compared to other boy bands singing slushy love songs.
9. Closer To Me - One of the few ballads on the album; I'm not keen on this one.
10. Until The Time Is Through - This is another ballad, and it's a pretty decent effort.
11. Don't Wanna Let You Go - Another immensely catchy song, if I remember rightly, this track had a bit of a Hallowe'en theme.
12. Slam Dunk (Da Funk) - The group's first single, this immediately marked the band out as being different to your traditional boy band.
13. It's The Things You Do - This one's a more traditional uptempo pop song.
14. When I Remember When - Another forgettable ballad, this is a new song for the album, and I reckon they should just have left it off.
15. Inspector Gadget - This is really bizarre - this is the band's version of the Inspector Gadget theme tune! I vaguely remember a movie being released and I guess this was the theme tune. It is recognisably a Five song but sounds really strange to me!
16. Set Me Free - This is a new track for this album - it is reasonably catchy with a strong dance influence.
17. Keep On Movin' [World Cup 2002 Mix] - Does what it says on the tin - a football-themed mix of Keep On Movin'. A bit pointless really unless you're a football fan, but it does suggest that the band had a male as well as a female fanbase, quite unusual for a boy band.
18. Greatest Hits Megamix
I love this album - Five were a great boy band and really broke the mould by releasing catchy uptempo tracks influenced by rock, rap and dance, rather than sticking to soppy ballads. With the exception of Until The Time Is Through, the ballads on the album are pretty forgettable, but that doesn't matter since there are so many fantastic catchy songs on here. I can't think of another boy band who could get away with covering Queen.
Five are the band the Backstreet Boys should have been, if they'd come out with more songs like Everybody and Larger Than Life instead of sticking to ballads. In fact they remind me a bit of N'Sync. This is a fantastic album and at only £3.99 from Amazon, what are you waiting for?!
Disc #1 Tracklisting
1 Last Night A DJ Saved My Life
2 I Love Rock 'N' Roll
3 main theme from 'Grease'
4 Clap Your Hands
5 We Will Rock You
6 Everybody Get Up
7 Got The Feelin'
8 Slam Dunk (Da Funk)
9 Don't Wanna Let You Go
10 Until The Time Is Through
11 When The Lights Go Out
12 Rock The Party
13 If Ya Gettin' Down
14 Let's Dance
15 Keep On Movin'
16 We Will Rock You
17 Keep On Movin'
18 If Ya Gettin' Down
19 Everybody Get Up
20 Let's Dance
21 Rock The Party
22 Got The Feelin'
23 When The Lights Go Out
24 Closer To Me
25 Until The Time Is Through
26 Don't Wanna Let You Go
27 Slam Dunk (Da Funk)
28 It's The Things You Do
29 When I Remember When
30 Inspector Gadget
31 Set Me Free
32 Keep On Movin'
33 Greatest Hits Megamix