Newest Review: ... another classic here is "Lipstick on Your Collar" which has a certain slackness to it that is admirable. The band ar... more
An Aussie punk classic
I'm Stranded - The Saints
Member Name: dangaroo
I'm Stranded - The Saints
Advantages: Roar and fun
Disadvantages: A few misses
I'm Stranded is a recent compilation by Australian punk pioneers The Saints, heavily using the proto punk style previously made by bands like MC5, The Stooges and The New York Dolls, The Saints gave it a short, catchy and Australian twang. Led by chubby Irish/Kenyan Chris Bailey the band had their own style devoid of glam or punk outfits but rather opting just for a casual look - they came up with numerous classic hits. Along with The Limespiders, Nick Cave and AC/DC they are definitely one of my favourite Aussie bands.
The album starts off strong with The Saints' biggest hit and perhaps best song, the extremely memorable "I'm Stranded", another classic here is "Lipstick on Your Collar" which has a certain slackness to it that is admirable. The band are definitely on the accessible side of punk, coming kind of close to The Underdogs and sounding a lot like a much better version of certain rock bands of this millenium (Air, Towers of London etc) - this can be seen in tracks like Wild About You whilst Nights in London is so influenced by The Stooges (remember they were insanely popular in Australia), it could actually be them! The band's cover of River Deep, Mountain High is fierce, wild and a tad better than the original like an angry street dog biting at Tina Turner's ankles!
Some tracks like No Time and One Way Street, are a bit too raw perhaps sounding a bit like American contemporaries The Dead Boys. The ballad Messin' With The Kid has a cool guitar sound to it and the vocalist fancies himself as a bit of a Bob Dylan for a minute!
This is a good album and an essential for fans of rock, in particular punk or proto punk.
Tracklist courtesy of wikipedia!
1. "(I'm) Stranded" (Ed Kuepper, Chris Bailey)
2. "One Way Street" (Kuepper, Bailey)
3. "Wild About You" (Andy James)
4. "Messin' With the Kid" (Kuepper, Bailey)
5. "Erotic Neurotic" (Kuepper, Bailey)
6. "No Time" (Kuepper, Bailey)
7. "Kissin' Cousins" (Fred Wise, Randy Starr)
8. "Story of Love" (Kuepper)
9. "Demolition Girl" (Kuepper)
10. "Nights in Venice" (Kuepper, Bailey)
In 2007, (I'm) Stranded was reissued with bonus tracks including the EP One Two Three Four.
11. "Untitled" [outtake From (I'm) Stranded]
12. "This Perfect Day" [single Version]
14. "Do The Robot"
15. "Lipstick On Your Collar" [from the EP One Two Three Four]
16. "One Way Street" [from the EP One Two Three Four]
17. "Demolition Girl" [from the EP One Two Three Four]
18. "River Deep-Mountain High" [from the EP One Two Three Four]
Summary: Good album