Newest Review: ... again he sings with such feeling and the music within this stops, pauses and can be quite dramatic within it. Like all the tracks on this ... more
One not to bother with if your under the age of 80 me thinks!
Michael Ball - The Collection
Member Name: xxfoxyredxx
Michael Ball - The Collection
Advantages: He's amazing
Disadvantages: The song choices are somewhat dreary!
Another day another Michael Ball review eh?! I love this man whether he's singing or presenting I'm more than a wee bit infatuated by him which leads me once again to do another one of his album reviews.
This album was released in 1999 and is a mixture of music from his first two albums, the first one being self titled in 1992 and 'Always' in 1993 so this is actually is his third album though not an original one if you see what I mean!
1. Love Changes Everything is of course from Aspects of love. For me this is the song he is best known for. Not my favourite he does, I think over the years personally I've heard him do it to death but I have to be fair no one can sing it quite like he does with his impeccable timing and heartfelt lyrics.
2. One Step Out Of Time is best known as the song Michael represented the United Kingdom with in the Eurovision Song Contest 1992 held in Sweden, which all credit to him he finished second! Again not a favourite of mine sadly though its beaty but for me a typical sort of Eurovision entry. I can't help but tap my foot to it though every time I hear it I will admit lol .
3. A House Is Not A Home is about lost love, about going back to a place you once shared and that person is no longer there. He hits every note perfectly. Again not a favourite of mine but I do like the slow parts giving way to the large notes and thinks he sounds wonderful on this track.
4. Cry Me A River . I love this soul version of this, again he sings with such feeling and the music within this stops, pauses and can be quite dramatic within it. Like all the tracks on this album though although the music is very good it doesn't take over the main thing...Michael's voice thankfully and I really like this one!
5. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me . Who doesn't know this dramatic track then? Once again Michaels smooth tones get the message over with raising his voice louder and more dramatic but never shouty which so many singers do to get their points across....which is a bug bear of mine. This version is mellow but with feeling.
6. Someone To Watch Over Me is another favourite song of his from this album. The music on this is really pretty and I love this song as it really does show off the versatility of his voice. His voice is so big but still smooth on this one, once again I'm sure you can take it for granted I love this track and I like the fact that this is not like any other track on this album and it's a nice little jazzy number!
7. Stormy Weather is a song I first heard many moons ago when I was kid by Frank Sinatra. This version is speeded up in comparison to that versio with less backing singing of ohs and ahs on it! Michael though does drawl in parts of it and once again this really isn't a good song however it once again shows his diversity as an artist and he does carry it off with complete ease to be fair to him.
8. As Dreams Go By is another Eurovision song contest song entry that never made it as the British public never sent it to Sweden and went with one step out of time instead. To me this is a shocking, typical entry of a song and I'm glad it never went to Sweden lol. Ok there is no doubt his voice is perfect on it. What a smooth crooner he is but the song is just terrible and typical and I skip this if listening the album!
9. On Broadway is a great song in my humble opinion. He belts it out with passion, the music and beat is great and its one I love to sing round my living room with a hairbrush when no one is looking!
10. You Made Me Love You is another lovely song. Once again he hits every note and convinces me he loves me but he really didn't wanna do it.....well tough you do so there! Lol
11. Secret Of Love was almost another song he took to the Eurovision song contest and in my view is a good song on the album and maybe he would of won with this one, cos its not a typical Eurovision contest sort of song. He sounds great on this one and vocally this has lots of different elements to it.
12. You'll Never Know is a big favourite of mine oh and Michael sounds sublime on this one! His timing as ever is perfect !
13. Beautiful Heartache
14. It's Still You
15. Who Needs To Know
16. No one cries anymore
......are all tracks I think he sings well, its just well I'm not overly keen on them to be honest which is why they don't get individual mentions. Nothing stands out for me about these songs though I can't argue he doesn't sing them well, cos he always knows how to belt out a tune this man for sure!
17. Holland Park again to me is a lovely track, yep I guess its about Holland Park lol. Again he hits all the right notes smoothly and sings with real feeling. This song has a very old style feel to me as a lot of the songs on the latter of this album do.
18. Simple Affair Of The Heart is once again a great song with lots of different tempos to it.
9. The First Man You Remember is a ditty beaty song to me, fun, flirty and simply a happy song, again with a real old fashioned feel to it and makes me feel like it's a Victorian sort of era song which is just so romantic. This is a duet with Diana Morrison which against his smooth voice she sounds almost operatic and the voices mingles very well indeed!
I own all of Michaels cds and dvds and this is sort of my least favourite one that I own. Its filled up with either songs that wernt deemed good enough to be put into the Eurovision song contest, one that was and still didn't win and rather a few very old fashioned tracks and yes I know this album is old but some of the covered songs on this really are ancient. I can't fault Michaels work....ever and I will defend his voice come what may but not always his choices of songs to sing and let us hear. This album feels old now and to me is a bit boring so 5 out of 5 for marvellous Michael and 2 stars for the choice of tracks!
This is available from new (without postage and packaging which is about £1.25) for a penny from new on Amazon!
Summary: One for a collector like me, otherwise get a later album!