Newest Review: ... of the album was written. The Album is loosely based on the Madam Butterfly opera! The album has now become a cult classic, with songs ab... more
Most under-rated album of all time
Pinkerton - Weezer
Member Name: himrule
Pinkerton - Weezer
Date: 08/06/12, updated on 22/06/12 (8 review reads)
Advantages: Brillant album, criminally underrated
Weezer are known for geek Pop/Rock and most people will never have heard this album, however its utterly Brilliant.
This album was a huge failure at the time, critics and fans wanted another Blue Album. Blue Album 2 this is not. It is a huge departure straight from the album cover and the first track - Tired of Sex, its obvious front man Rivers Cuomo is in a different place to where he was when he wrote the Blue Album. He had been in hospital and on painkillers while much of the album was written. The Album is loosely based on the Madam Butterfly opera!
The album has now become a cult classic, with songs about Lesbians (Pink Triangle), Japanese fans (across the sea) amongst others. At only 34 minutes its not a long album. 10 brilliant songs which work well as one complete work and maybe not quite so well on their own, which could explain the albums failure at the time.
Track by track
1. Tired of sex - Full on rock track about Rivers' frustration at groupies
2. Getchoo - Another rocking track with Rivers' on the offensive this time
3. No Other One - A slightly weaker less rocky track showing Rivers tender side
4. Why Bother - Brilliant track with sing-a-long chorus about the pointlessness of relationships
5. Across the Sea - Starts slow but builds to a crescendo. About a Japanese fan who's mail touched Rivers
6. The Good Life - Extremely catchy chorus about when Rivers had a metal rod in his leg
7. El scorchio - Most well known song on the album. Again great sing along chorus
8. Pink Triangle - Song about Rivers falling in love with a lesbian. Good Rock track
9. Falling for You - Probably weakest song on the album about Rivers being in a frowned upon relationship
10. Butterfly - Touching, beautiful tender song. About a caught butterfly that dies. The story goes that Rivers was planning to retire after this album hence the closing words on the album being 'I'm so sorry'
Good life is probably the stand out track and Butterfly the only slow song on to close the album is also genius. However there isn't a bad track on it and I could (and have) listened to the album over and over and over.
Summary: Best album of all time in my opinion