* Prices may differ from that shown
Most Bollywood movies have song and dance numbers in them. The songs that appear in a movie are composed specifically for each movie and are released in advance of the movie coming to cinemas to hopefully drum up intrest among the public.
This particular music album is for the movie called Ra One. It is a sci-fi movie which stars Shah Rukh Khan who is one of the biggest stars in Bollywood. It was released in 2011.
There seems to be the use of more and more western artists in Bollywood over the past few years, especially when it comes to music. In this particular album, Akon has sung a few of the songs.
There is only one song that I like in this whole album, and that is Chammak Challo which features Akon. There's several different versions of it on this album the first version which is the first track and is just called 'Chammak Challo', I presume is the one that appears in the movie. I think the others that are labelled in the track list as Punjabi, remix, club mix and international versions are extras.
The version that appears in the movie has Akon singing a duet with another female singer. There are three different languages in it that I can tell - the first being English, the second Hindi and a third Indian language I am uncertain about.
The best translation I can come up with for the word 'Chammak Challo' would probably be babe and Akon is saying something like do you wanna be my babe in this track.
Akon sings both in English and Hindi during this. I feel he does a good job of both parts. I do think whoever wrote the lyrics for this song and the rest of the album could have done a much better job though.
Chammak Challo has a catchy beat to it especially the chorus where Akon goes 'Wanna be my Chammak Challo .... O, o', but the lyrics have no real meaning. It is the kind of song you listen to for 5 minutes then forget about.
Bollywood is trying to appeal to a wider audience and the international version of Chammak Challo has Akon singing alone with the female singer being cut out. The middle part of the song has also been altered slightly.
I think this version is also alright, but I don't like the club mix, Punjabi and remix versions of this track, which I don't think have a suitable base to them or the appropriate sounding music to back the singers. It also seems like the club mix and remix versions have also been speeded up slightly.
I am not too keen on any of the other songs including the song called 'Criminal' which also features Akon. One of the reasons I didn't like any of the other songs was the voices of the singers, and when it comes to the Criminal song, it sounds similar to all of Akon's other songs with nothing to make it stand out.
Track List along with singers as taken from Amazon:
1. Chammak Challo - Akon & Hamsika Iyer
2. Dildaara (Stand By Me) - Shafqat Amanat Ali, Vishal Dadlani, Shekhar Ravjiani & Clinton Cerejo
3. Criminal - Akon, Vishal Dadlani & Shruti Pathak
4. Bhare Naina - Nandini Shrikar, Vishal Dadlani, Shekhar Ravjiani
5. Right By Your Side - Siddharath Coutto
6. Raftaarein - Vishal Dadlani & Shekhar Ravjiani
7. Jiya Mora Ghabraaye (The Chase) - Sukhwinder Singh & Vishal
8. Chammak Challo (Punjabi Mix) - Akon & Hamsika Iyer
9. Comes The Light (Theme) - Instrumental
10. I'm On (Theme) - Instrumental
11. Song Of The End (Theme) - Instrumental
12. Chammak Challo (Club Mix) - Akon & Hamsika Iyer
13. Criminal (Remix) - Akon, Vishal Dadlani & Shruti Pathak
14. Chammak Challo (International Version) - Akon
15. Chammak Challo (Remix) - Akon & Hamsika Iyer
== Price and availability ==
The audio CD for this is selling for £5.02 on Amazon as of this writing.
== Summary and recommendation ==
I like the Chammak Challo song but I can't recommend the overall album. There isn't anything there to hold my attention. I would have to give it 2 stars.