* Prices may differ from that shown
Most people know that I'm a big fan of power pop - Badfinger, The Raspberries and The Beatles. Power Pop usually contains 'strong melodies, crisp vocal harmonies, economical arrangements and prominent guitar riffs' (Wikipedia). April Wine are one such Power Pop band.
April Wine were formed in Canada in 1969 and have, to date, released over twenty albums but are probably best known for their singles 'Could Have Been A Lady' (a cover of the Hot Chocolate song) and Bad Side of the Moon (originally by Elton John). After a number of personnel changes they came together in 1975 to record the album Stand Back. By this time Myles Goodwyn was on lead vocals, Jerry Mercer was on drums, Jim Clench on bass and Gary Moffet was on lead guitar.
The more I listened to Stand Back the more I liked it. It contains some brilliantly crafted pop/rock songs and is often regarded as their first really consistent album.
Just listen to the absolutely FILTHY 'Slow Poke' for some pant-wettingly hilarious lyrics "I'd like to poke you right here on the floor / I ain't gonna stop none, till I hear you call for more / Then I'm gonna tease you till you're ready to scream / Then I'm gonna please you, it's gonna seem like a dream / So how 'bout a slow poke, uh-huh, with long strokes / I said how 'bout a slow poke, baby / I like to take my time, poke on"
But then of course theres the ballads. 'I Wouldn't Want to Lose Your Love' is the best, certainly influenced by The Beatles and Badfinger, I had it on loop for ages in my car bombing home from work this week - great stuff!
I really enjoyed listening to Stand Back. For all its bubblegum and cheese there certainly is a real level of skill within the band that I will look forward to investigating.
* "Oowatanite" (J. Clench) - 3:52
* "Don't Push Me Around" - 3:14
* "Cum Hear the Band" - 3:52
* "Slow Poke" - 3:47
* "Victim for Your Love" - 4:17
* "Baby Done Got Some Soul" (J. Clench) - 2:45
* "I Wouldn't Want to Lose Your Love" - 3:12
* "Highway Hard Run" - 4:01
* "Not for You, Not for Rock & Roll" - 3:14
* "Wouldn't Want Your Love (Any Other Way)" (M. Goodwyn, J. Clench) - 2:43
* "Tonight is a Wonderful Time to Fall in Love" - 3:35