* Prices may differ from that shown
Sworn to the Dark is the most recent release by Swedish black metal band Watain, it was their 3rd release and came out in 2007. The main riffs are slow and progressive yet quite majestic in a blackened way and normally interspersed later on with lots of different guitar solos sneaking in.
Lyrically and imagery wise it is exactly what you'd expect from a Swedish black metal band, it's got a chilling haunting sound to it like a mad Swede wandering around a forest with an axe.
I think what I like about Watain is that there is plenty of variation in the tracks. Changes in speed, fuzzy bass lines, crushing guitar riffs and quality melodies ensure that there is plenty going on but the band still keep it relatively simple and don't over produce it or try to do too much at once.
My favourite track is undoubtedly the lively energetic track Legions of the Black Light. This album, along with the success of Marduk in recent times surely swings the capital of black metal temporarily from neighbouring Norway to Sweden, since it's the only country currently consistently putting out good albums and they seem to take into account the masterpieces made by Norwegian bands as this band clearly pay homage to some of Mayhem's work.
1. "Legions of the Black Light" - 8:04 (Watain/Teitan)
2. "Satan's Hunger" - 6:46
3. "Withershins" (Instrumental) - 1:02
4. "Storm of the Antichrist" - 4:15
5. "The Light That Burns the Sun" - 7:04
6. "Sworn to the Dark" - 5:03
7. "Underneath the Cenotaph" - 4:12
8. "The Serpent's Chalice" - 6:42
9. "Darkness and Death" - 4:13 (Belfagor/Watain)
10. "Dead But Dreaming" (Instrumental) - 2:05
11. "Stellarvore" - 8:17
Disc #1 Tracklisting
1 Legions of the Black Light
2 Satan's Hunger
3 Withershins [Instrumental]
4 Storm of the Antichrist
5 Light That Burns the Sun
6 Sworn to the Dark
7 Underneath the Cenotaph
8 Serpent's Chalice
9 Darkness and Death
10 Dead But Dreaming [Instrumental]