Newest Review: ... are my favourite band of all time. The Resistance is, without a doubt, my favourite Muse album of all time. It tells a gorgeous sto... more
The Resistance - Muse
Member Name: robertjb
The Resistance - Muse
Advantages: Good lyrics, interesting symphony, Great piano riffs
Disadvantages: Die-hard Muse fans will be disappointed, some songs aren't that great.
Devon rockers Muse are back with their fifth album after a wait of 3 years after the very successful Black Holes and Revelations album. There was a lot of anticipation for this album, it was the first album that Muse produced themselves and they raised the hype by speaking of the three part symphony and the fact that this would be their hardest song yet. To help kick off the release of the album they played a two homecoming gigs at their home town of Teignmouth, where they showcased some of the new tracks.
(1) Uprising, it starts off with a catchy bass line and then the Doctor Who like synth comes in, the guitar only really comes into the second half of this song. It's a very political song and very catchy. At first I didn't like the chorus but now I can't get it out of my head. I love the guitar solo from Matt.
(2) Resistance, the first time I heard this song I wasn't sure about it. It starts off with a synth and then Matt comes in with a piano intro. Matt's singing is impeccable as always and the backing singing is great. The song gets a bit different with Matt and Chris singing together "Could be wrong, could be wrong, could be wrong..." The chorus is great and sounds like classic Muse.
(3) Undisclosed desires, this song really surprised me at first. I knew there was a RnB style song on the album but this was completely different territory for Muse. I'm also really surprised because I really like this song. The lyrics are excellent.
(4) United Sates of Eurasia, this was the first song that was released from the album. Muse set up a treasure trail with USB keys containing different parts of the song being placed in specific places over the world. People found the keys and input them to unlock the parts of the song. Again the first time I heard this I wasn't sure but after hearing it live and if you ignore the fact that it is very heavily influenced by Queen then it's a great song.
(5) Guiding Light, this continues the "operatic" feel of this album. It all sounds very grand, it's a great song musically but not my favourite off the album. The solo sounds very like something Brian May would play.
(6) Unnatural Selection, this was one of the first songs I heard off the album. It starts off with an organ playing but it soon roars into a trademark riff that sounds a bit like New Born. This is a good song and is probably one of the more rock based songs off the album but it doesn't reach the heights of previous songs.
(7) MK Ultra, this is fast becoming one of my favourite Muse songs off the album. It starts off with a weird catchy synth riff. Matt's singing is excellent as always. The chorus is powerful and gets stuck in your head.
(8) I belong to you; I don't really like this song to be perfectly honest. It has a bouncy piano riff and the song definitely shows off Matt's piano playing but it doesn't save the song.
(9) Exogenesis: Symphony Part 1, this is the first part of the three part orchestral symphony. It is beautiful especially since Matt wrote the arrangement himself. It sounds like something out of a movie but it wouldn't make a good single. Matt's singing is more operatic on this song and it really shows off his high vocal range. The guitar also adds an extra something.
(10) Exogenesis: Symphony Part 2, I prefer this over Part 1. It starts off with a beautiful piano intro. Again this is beautifully arranged, full credit to Matt for arranging it but again it sounds like something out of a movie soundtrack rather than a single. Two mins it becomes quite fast paced and Matt sings with some superb string backing. A great song to help end the album.
(11) Exogenesis: Symphony Part 3, this is the last song of the album and it helps slow things down for a nice ending. The lyrics talk about starting over but Matt doesn't sing much in this song. Again it's a beautiful song.
So overall if you really listen to this you will find yourself amazed at least at the Exogenesis symphony. Die-hard Muse fans will be disappointed due to the experimentation Muse have done on this album and there are some songs that aren't so good but then again some songs are different but good. If you like music then get this album and even if you prefer Muse's older stuff this album is still worth getting.
Summary: A good album but as I mentioned earlier die hard Muse fans will wonder what happened to the guitar