Newest Review: ... best songs it has to offer, which really sets the pace for the rest of the album with its high tempo catchy guitar riff's and just as cat... more
Enjoyable But Quick
Wait For Me - Pigeon Detectives
Member Name: topsyturvy
Wait For Me - Pigeon Detectives
Advantages: good sound, easy listening
Disadvantages: short songs
I am always getting criticised by my friends for liking a lot of American bands but I do like my British bands too. I do feel a lot of British music has come along as there was a time when we didnít really have a lot of bands that were good whereas now we have the likes of Razorlight, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs, The Kooks, Kasabian, The Arctic Monkeys and so on really. In other words we have a lot of good bands on our own soil at festivals which is making the line-ups for a lot of the festivals good at the minute. A band that I have really started to listen to a lot lately is The Pigeon Detectives, some of you might know them through radio play or music magazines but they hail from Leeds and are very talented.
I first hear of them on Radio 1 through the play of their single ĎIím Not Sorryí but I do know they have been around a lot longer than that single because they also released the song ĎRomantic Typeí but this didnít get them as much attention. I recently purchased their new album ĎWait For Meí and have to say I was very impressed as this album barely has any songs I can honestly say I skip. They had a top ten chart spot with this album and they have a unique sound with their vocals but it still has a very British sound without that being a criticism. The album ĎWait For Meí was released in May and from then onwards Iíve been encouraging many to listen and so far a positive response.
1. Romantic Type
2. I Found Out
3. Donít Know How To Say Goodbye
4. Caught In Your Trap
5. I Canít Control Myself
6. Iím Not Sorry
7. You Know I Love You
8. Stop Or Go
9. You Better Not Look My Way
10. Take Her Back
11. Wait For Me
12. Iím Always Right
I will just go through a few of the songs, one thing about this album which I did notice is that the songs are all roughly just over two minutes long with some being under two minutes which is very short.
1. ROMANTIC TYPE: This song starts off with a slow drum beat then the guitar kicks in and it is a very fast paced song. The vocals are sung in a very thick accent but I like this as it really fits the music. The chorus is probably the most memorable part of the song as it is the catchiest part but for a single I canít say this is one of my favourite songs. This song is quite hard to understand Iím thinking itís about him saying that every once in a while both people in a relationship should take a turn instead of it always being the guy and also about her judging him when she doesnít really know him as well a she thought.
2. I FOUNT OUT: This is one of my favourite songs off the album, I heard my friend play it and this really made me love the song. It was a single apparently in November but I hadnít heard it until I got the album. It has a really good rhythm to it and has an old fashioned sound to it but I like this. Itís original and as soon as it starts itís really upbeat, the vocals are quite shouty in this but itíll be stuck in your head for a bit after hearing it. This is kind of like a song about heart break but is a more upbeat way of dealing with it which I like. Itís about him finding out someone he likes is going out with someone else and that he feels like he isnít good enough.
3. DONíT KNOW HOW TO SAY GOODBYE: Again this has an older sounding style but again a very quick pace to it and quick singing. This song seems to pass by so quickly but it is quite relaxed sounding as well and another catchy song thatíll no doubt stick in your head. One minute it seems itís the verse then itís the chorus but the lyrics are nothing challenging on this song, itís quite repetitive. This song is about a girl cheating on a guy and him deciding that itís time to end it, hence the title, itís pretty straight forward.
6. IíM NOT SORRY: This is a great song but the only song that has this kind of modern sound on the album. The guitar starts up and then the first line is sung and then the song really builds up and I like it for this reason. It starts off quite calm and then it unexpectedly gets catchy and fast paced. The singing I really like the harmonising in this song. This song did well in the charts getting to number 12 which is good for them. The chorus is really repetitive but it stuck in my head when I heard it and then days later I had the album. It is an addictive song and a lot of this album you will play over again. Iím guessing this song is either about them getting criticism or a bad relationship, it seems itís about someone saying they couldnít make it and being malicious. The chorus repeats and the song then fades out nicely with the guitar to the next track.
IíM ALWAYS RIGHT: This starts with a really good guitar piece then breaks into their usual catchy fast rhythmic style. The vocals as always fit nicely with the pace and then the chorus gets stronger vocals as it leads up to it. The chorus is quite repetitive and again no thought provoking song words. For a second last album track I like how the songs are still upbeat and there are no really slow songs on the album which is good. I think this song is about someone wanting someone but them not getting what they want and it being the right choice.
Overall this album is great with a total play time of about 40 minutes it is a very short album but an enjoyable one at that. You can listen to it while relaxing, getting ready to go out or with friends itís just easy listening. I think a lot of people would like it or indie music likers or people wanting some new music in their collection.
The Pigeon Detectives official website is at http://www.thepigeondetectives.com/
Their Myspace page is found here http://www.myspace.com/thepigeondetectives
Where you can have a listen to some of their songs.