After sulking in the shadows for the last few years, dubstep music has fully stepped into the spotlight this last twelve months, and suddenly it's everywhere. Although unfortunately, it can be argued that the commercialism of the genre has condemned it to death already, and as major labels start to snap up anyone they can, the quality is somewhat starting to sound quite 'generic'. However, 'Welcome Reality' is that true diamond that shines through among all the lumps of coal in the dubstep/electronica genres.
The album is reminiscent of other drum and bass artists such as Pendulum, and The Prodigy. It also brings the dubstep genre into new territories, touching upon the groundwork laid down by artists like Skream, and giving them a quirky, yet mainstream feel. The single 'Me and You' is my personal favourite, especially as upon listening, it gives the impression the band wanted to squeeze in as many different directions as possible, without making the track sound cluttered or too busy. Other singles released off the back of this album include 'Guilt', 'Promises', and 'Me & You'.
Judging from this album, I believe that Nero certainly have the flair required to invite new artists to step up to the plate, and prove they can keep up with the base point that this album has laid down. With releases like this, the next 12 months could prove very exciting for the genre
Welcome Reality is the first album by dubstep/drum & bass duo Nero. The album has 14 tracks including hit singles Me and You, Guilt and Promises. I first heard of Nero about 4 years ago when they did drum & bass music but like producers such as Chase and Status and Sub Focus they have now moved more towards the dubstep genre of music. I'm not a big fan of Nero but when I was browsing for new music at my local HMV I noticed that this album was on offer for £7 so I thought I would give it a try.
Here is track listing of the album:
1. 2808 - Intro track that sounds like a strange orchestral sound
2. DOOMSDAY - A hard hitting dance drum beat that drops in to a dark futuristic grimey/dubstep sound
3. MY EYES - The first track on the album with vocals from singer Alana and has a spooky/rocky/dubstep sound
4. GUILT - Got to number 8 in the UK charts and has catchy vocals from Alana Watson with a dubstep/trance sound
5. FUGUE STATE - Starts off similar to DOOMSDAY but then drops into a hard hitting dark electro dubstep sound
6. ME AND YOU - A guitar/retro/dubstep sound with vocals from Alana and got to number 15 in the UK charts
7. INNOCENCE - Has a drum & bass/dubstep sound featuring haunting vocals from Alana Watson
8. IN THE WAY - Has low frequency dubstep sounds with spacey vocals from Alana Watson.
9. SCORPIONS - This track sounds like Nero have got the knight rider theme tune slowed it down and put a few of there low dubstep sounds in the track. It also has a few vocals from Alana
10. CRUSH ON YOU - Sounds like an 80's high pitched vocal pop song with an up to date high tempo dubstep sound
11. MUST BE THE FEELING - Is a fusion of 80's pop and a disco house/dubstep sound with Alana Watson on the vocals.
12. REACHING OUT - Sounds like an early 90's house track with a slow tempo dubstep sound and has a change of male vocals
13. PROMISES - Has a drum beat which drops into a drum & bass/dubstep sound with vocals from Alana Watson and got to number 1 in the UK charts
14. DEPARTURE - This track slows the tempo down and starts off with dark slow drum/dubstep beat which then changes to more brighter hopeful dubstep sound.
Overall this album is dark and consistent and I like all the tracks on the album. The only problem with the album is some of the tracks tend to get a bit boring because the tempo of the tracks is very consistent which makes them sound a little similar. The album basically takes you on a journey through the eyes of Nero. I would give it a rating of 4/5.
I would recommend this album to anyone who likes the tracks already released by Nero or if you listen to artists like Pendulum, Sub focus or Modestep.
I brought this album on offer for £7 but the normal price is £9.99 HMV
Disc #1 Tracklisting
3 My Eyes
5 Fugue State
6 Me And You
8 In The Way
11 Must Be The Feeling
12 Reaching Out