Newest Review: ... the majority of titles, once you've mastered that you can make the game harder for yourself by trying it on Manual Transmission. The gam... more
Straight forward racing
Ridge Racer 64 (N64)
Member Name: dangaroo
Ridge Racer 64 (N64)
Advantages: Good fun, high speed
Disadvantages: Graphics not that great
Ridge Racer 64 is the N64 version of the popular racing game that is on many a console and arcade game with the usual blasting techno.
The game is fast and fun, simple racing without any shortcuts or other targets to reach or things to collect. Automatic Transmission is a great way to start off and like the majority of titles, once you've mastered that you can make the game harder for yourself by trying it on Manual Transmission. The game has 9 courses but variations on the same 3 courses, which seems awful value today.
The surroundings are pleasant enough to drive through but parts of every tracks seem to look a little similar, the cardboard scenery that doesn't move looks unrealistic but is fitting with the Arcade racing genre. Graphics wise, RR64 is nothing special.
Gameplay is pretty straight forward, although I do tend to opt for the same car with good grip and average speed and acceleration. You can slide yourself round corners at full speed which is pretty enjoyable fun albeit completely unrealistic.
One aspect that is a bit annoying is that, you tend to get stuck behind a load of traffic at some points and being impatient to find the right moment to pass, I tend to try and bump my way through and almost always come off worse!
Overall this is an enjoyable racing game and it works as a multiplayer, you can also entertain yourself on the time trials but it's still only an average title, as it just doesn't offer you anything particularly special.
Summary: Nothing too special
More reviews in the field of Nintendo 64 Game
- Ever wanted to go from 200mph to 0mph in a second?
- A great game, let-down by a short story and repetitive gameplay
- A game that tried to be a realistic snowboarding game, instead it turned out to ...
- A very interesting concept for a game, but it didn't quite work
- In my opinion the 3rd best adventure game on the N64.
- slapstick claymation fun, but certainly no Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat
- Worth buying an N64 just to own this game, amazing 4-player fun
- Electronic Torment
- Super Mario Kart (SNES) - The classic game stands the test of time
- A great game