Product Type: Nintendo Nintendo DS games
Newest Review: ... improved through the enhancing of graphics and additional features being added such as the pokewalker. This charming piece of kit allo... more
Fantastic remake of an already-brilliant game.
Pokemon SoulSilver (DS)
Member Name: sprinklelight
Pokemon SoulSilver (DS)
Advantages: All your old favourite features, but lots of new, improved ones too!
I'm twenty and as such am a kid of the original, Pokémon-loving 90s generation. I cannot actually tell you the number of times I have played through Pokémon Gold or Crystal on my Gameboy Colour, because it is literally countless. Can you imagine my reaction when I discovered Nintendo were remaking my favourite generation of the games? Well, I nearly had a coronary!
Everything I adored about the original versions is there, plus several extras which make me very excited even now. But that can wait, I'll tell you about the things which are the same (but which you'll love nonetheless).
Making a comeback from Gold/Silver are the Johto region gyms, with such favourites as Falkner, the bird-lover and Whitney (she uses Normal-type Pokémon, but her Miltank, with its 'Rollout' move, still puts the fear of Lugia into me!). Also making a comeback is your red-headed rival; man he's evil, stealing Professor Elm's pokémon indeed!
Also back are all my favourite in-game experiences. The Unown cave; obtaining an egg and it hatching into Togepi; the pokémon breeding centre; saving the Slowpokes in Azalea Town; beating Team Rocket; catching Sudowoodo; the legendary dogs... It's all just so retro-fantastic!
However, if it wasn't enough that they remade my favourite game in astounding DS/DSi quality, Nintendo incorporated some extra features into the game which excite me even further:
- Unlike the original Gold/Silver game, but MUCH like Pikachu in Pokémon Yellow, your starter pokémon can be seen following you around in-game and you can turn to them, speak to them and watch their oh-so-adorable reactions. (I literally went *squeeeee* when my Totodile 'barked' because he was happy)
- HeartGold/SoulSilver have incorporated Suicune (from Crystal) into the legendary dog trio, creating a sort of amalgamation of Gold/Silver/Crystal.
- You can potentially complete the Pokédex through the wifi features of this game. It will not block non-Johto pokémon AND you can catch post-Johto legendaries in-game!
Yet another fantastic feature which makes this game worth the money is the PokéWalker, which allows you to transfer pokémon from in-game and carry them around with you. Working like a pedometer, the PokéWalker allows you to train and play with your favourite pokémon without having your DS on you. It even has a belt clip, which I find very handy and dandy.
If you are, or have ever been, a fan of the Pokémon series of games, you will need to buy HeartGold or SoulSilver. Remade from one of the best original games but incorporating the brilliant features of the later games, this is a must-buy product!
Summary: A must-buy product for Pokémon fans.
More reviews in the field of Nintendo DS Game
- Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth Review
- Spirit Tracks
- Enjoy old Scrooge's supernatural adventure
- More puzzles then you think
- Oh look Luke, another hidden puzzle
- Just call me Hercule Poirot
- A zoo in the palm of your hands
- Do you speak animal?
- A shadow of his former self
- Classic Entertainment
- Tangled (DS)
- Natalie Brooks - The Treasures of the Lost Kingdom (DS)
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem! (DS)
- Kingdom Hearts: Recoded (DS)
- Monster High 13 Wishes (DS)
- Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs (DS)
- LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: Universe in Peril (DS)
- Adventure Time: Hey Ice King (DS)
- SpongeBob Squarepants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge (DS)
- Magic Encyclopedia: Moonlight (DS)