Product Type: Sega Wii games
Newest Review: ... and you have to time your swings to determine which way to hit it. You can press up or down to alter net or base play Wiimote + Nunchuck... more
Champ or Chump??
Virtua Tennis 2009 (Wii)
Member Name: kcsevenoaks
Virtua Tennis 2009 (Wii)
Advantages: Good graphic
Disadvantages: Poor control system
I enjoy my Wii and I enjoy tennis, so I thought this could be a good addition to my collection. Virtua Tennis 2009 is the latest in the long running Sega series. For those familiar with the series it will be like slipping on a pair of well worn in slippers as the set up and in particular the career mode is much like previous incarnations.
In the career mode you can decide the look for your player, the train them up using a variety of mini games and practice matches to climb the ranks. You can then take him on some minor tournaments and eventually climb to the dizzy heights of the Grand Slams. On your way you can team up with other characters to play doubles tournaments as well.
There is a selection of well known faces such as Murray and Nadal who you can play in non career mode, and eventually as you climb the ranking in career mode you will be facing these gladiators of tennis.
The graphics and stadia are nice to look at, but what about gameplay? Well it's a funny system which kind of works. If you have played any other tennis game on the Wii, especially EA's Grand Slam Tennis then the control system will feel very odd indeed. Its not necessarily about how hard you swing the racket, more about when. You are given a bar on screen with a line in the middle. If you hit it when the moving bar hits the middle bar then the ball goes straight. To the left of the bar it goes left and to the right, right. The speed of the moving bar depends on how fast your opponent hits it to you. It's a complicated thing to get a grip of at first and to me doesn't seem like the best way to control a tennis game on the Wii
Overall its fun but the control system lets it down. Three stars!
Summary: Verging on Chump for me!
More reviews in the field of Nintendo Wii Game
- if you love mariokart dont get this
- brilliant for day to day workouts!
- fun but limited
- if you love the original super mario bros you'll love this
- Fancy a Zumba? Yes Please!
- Relatively standard FPS on Wii
- An excellent game but the wheel doesn't add much
- A fun quiz game
- Big colourful and exciting
- Wii Can All Get Fit
- Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Wii)
- Zumba World Party - Bundle Pack with Belt Accessory (Wii)
- Virtua Tennis 2009 - Championship Pack (Wii)
- Victorious: Taking the Lead (Wii)
- Turbo Super Stunt Squad (Wii)
- We Sing 80's Incl 2 microphones (Wii)
- Nerf N-Strike - Blaster included (Wii)
- Petz Sports: Dog Playground (Wii)
- Pikmin 2 (Wii)
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 (Wii)