Newest Review: ... this an inherently female book, but meant for all ages. It has a particular onus on simplistic activities that could come under the banne... more
Member Name: cerys82
The Great Big Glorious Book for Girls - Rosemary Davidson
Advantages: fun, sweet activity book
Disadvantages: probably wouldn't be for everyone
This book was released a couple of years ago as an obvious female response to the success of "The Dangerous Book For Boys." I was already aware of co-author Sarah Vine as she is a 'Times' journalist. Just like "Dangerous Book" it comes wiht a slightly suptuous embossed material-style hardback cover - but in a dark purple.
It does not take a genius to work out that this an inherently female book, but meant for all ages. It has a particular onus on simplistic activities that could come under the banner of 'old fashioned' or traditional.
For example, there are sections on needlecraft, basic gardening, cooking at the beginning. Then its activities are ordered by the seasons. The use of nature informs a lot of them eg "whistling on a blade of grass." It also contains some interesting information about each season eg festivals as well as seasonal crafts - egg decorating etc.
There may be a bias towards old-fashioned largely forgotten pursuits but it is still quite knowing - there are references to Nigella Lawson. There are also sections on make-up and beauty, pets, party planning, magic tricks, cultural recommendations - classic books and films as well as a special section on Christmas. One section which is particularly entertaining is entitled "How To Deal With Boys."
The book has a really nice ethos as itis written with a sense of wanting to find enjoyment in a simple, not to mention cheaper way, and a nostalgia for simple, feminine skills with practical and enjoyable elements. A nice touch is the biographies of inspirational women through the ages.
There is no doubt that this book is wholesome, but without being at all preachy. It is quite a refreshing read -bit of a novelty that I can imagine a lot of mothers and daughters enjoying together.
Summary: A good casual read
More reviews in the field of Non-Fiction Book
- Making a wedding personal
- What Neale Walsch wants
- Fancy making your own jewellery from wire? This book is for you....
- Discover the Forest of Bowland with its lovely walks and rare birds
- Where there is life there should always be hope
- Adding Fool to the Flame
- Where the Serious People go for Comedy, Apparently.
- I've had worse arguments...
- The Art of Star Trek - Judith Reeves-Stevens
- Tong Sing: The Chinese Book of Wisdom - Charles Windridge
- The New Encyclopedia of the Dog - Bruce Fogle
- The Little Book of Thunks - Ian Gilbert
- Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey - Emma Rowley
- Before the Year Dot - June Brown
- Beefy's Cricket Tales: My Favourite Stories from on and Off the Field - Ian Both ...
- Becoming Johnny Vegas - Johnny Vegas