Newest Review: ... customers Hayloft staff seemed to want to leave early. I was told off by the Hayloft chef for ordering food five minutes before the food ... more
Support a donkey and help a child
The Donkey Sanctuary (Devon)
Member Name: chrisc92
The Donkey Sanctuary (Devon)
Advantages: They are a charitable organisation providing something for the community
Disadvantages: They rely on donations which is the disadvantage
I'm not sure I can make this sound good, but I will certainly try my hardest because I can't thank these people enough for what they've done for my son and lots and I mean hundreds if not thousands of disabled/handicapped children throughout Somerset and Devon.
It was founded many years ago by Dr Elisabeth Svendsen and was primarily run to care for donkeys and mules that had reached the end of their useful life. However, combining it into an activity that is designed to help movement for groups of physically and mentally handicapped school children is brilliant.
My son (Stephen's) former school (Selworthy) based in Taunton took groups there regularly and he loved it. He was (and so were we) so proud when they awarded him for being the first improved rider at the centre and had his photo in the Somerset County Gazette and probably local Devon one's too with a plaque donated by the parents of a disabled child that had died a little while before.
There are a number of fields for the donkeys, and the main arena where children spend most of their visit to the centre.
On our second and most memorable trip with Stephen, his sister, half-brother and my 1st wife, some silly sod (me) forgot to put the oil cap back on, and after 40+ miles, rather a lot of smoke poured out of the bonnet just as we reached the parking field - but it didn't catch fire and a friendly driver gave me some oil and a rag so I could get back later.
Like I said I can't thank them enough and they make a real difference to these children. The donkey sactuary is a charitable organisation, and for what they do they are one that is definitely worth supporting.
Summary: Donkeys are not just for beaches, they need a home and can offer so much to children
More reviews in the field of Other UK / Ireland topic
- Reading festival - Worth the money?
- Wear the little monkeys out while you have a coffee.
- Carry on Camping
- Blackburn Vue Cinema- Brilliant
- A Nottigham tradition
- A PLACE IN THE COMMUNITY
- Shhhhh! Top Secret! Don't Tell The World About This Place!
- Rural Village Hall - easy to locate on the side of the A477 Trunk Road into Pemb ...
- Great Site for the quiet visitor, worth a visit just for the views.
- This lodge has it all apart from chips!
- Firemore Sands (Scotland)
- Autosport International Show
- The Light Cinema (New Brighton, Wirral)
- Llanteg Village Hall
- Llanteg Village
- Cineworld (Shrewsbury)
- Wayford Park River Holiday
- Brokerswood Country Park Campsite (Westbury, Wiltshire)
- Woodhall Spa Camping And Caravanning Club Site (Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire)
- Giggles Play Mill (Warrington, Cheshire)