Product Type: Whirlpool ovens
Newest Review: ... This is the Big Society at work! I'll now be saving up for a Bosch instead of buying one straight away. The Whirlpool service centre co... more
Whirlpool AKZ451 Poorly designed with flaw on glass door.
Member Name: Gmac
Advantages: Stylish and looks good.
Disadvantages: Expensive design flaw
Had this item for two years after moving into a new house. It was rarely used and looked stylish until the front glass door shattered after being closed, after checking on the internet the glass door appears to be a common problem. Being a new housing development some of our neighbours have also had the front glass door shatter, at first I though it was my wife being unusally heavy handed but on closer inspection I discovered the metal handle was screwed from behind and through the glass into the metal handle. This direct metal to glass contact has no rubber cushioning that causes the glass to stress and eventually shatter.
Called up Whirlpool for replacement was told that the glass would cost £208 and £ 84 for an engineer to fit it only marginally less than it would be to replace the whole unit!. Other Whirlpool parts websites had the same item for £125-130.
Will be looking for a replacement cooker where the handle does not attach directly to the glass.
Summary: Poor design and ripoff service.
|Ease of use:|
- New World NW901DO MET G
- New World NW-G55TT-SI
- New World NW701DO
- Rangemaster CDL110DFFBL/B Classic Deluxe 110 D/F Range Cooker 79800
- Rangemaster CDL100DFFBL/C Classic Deluxe 100 D/F Range Cooker 92490
- Elica VERVE 55 Vertical Decorative Hood 55cm White Glass
- Elica VERVE 80 Vertical Decorative Hood 80cm White Glass
- Baumatic BCS461SS 46 cm Combi Steam and Multifunction Oven Black
- Elica MINI HALCYON Vertical Decorative Hood 55cm White Glass
- Elica HALCYON Vertical Decorative Hood 80cm White Glass