Product Type: Tesco Pasta / Noodles
Newest Review: ... if eaten with either a jar or homemade sauce you cannot tell that it is a cheaper brand. It costs around 59p for a 500g bag, although I ha... more
Member Name: lyndsey1989
Tesco Value Penne Pasta
Advantages: Tastes just like other pasta
Disadvantages: Takes a little longer to cook
Up until recently I had always bought shops own brands of pasta which I always thought had been good value. However, feeling the pinch as I'm sure all of us have at some point over recent months when I spotted this option for around half the price of the normal Tesco pasta I decided to give it a try. After all, at 32p for 500g what did I have to lose?!
The pasta comes in a no frills packet. It is not resealable so you will probably need a tub to store this in as unless you cut it with some scissors the bag has a tendency to split! Cooking the pasta is easy, Tesco suggest putting it on the hob for 10-12 minutes. However, I have discovered that this leaves the pasta a little hard so I now leave it on for about 15 minutes. I've found this to be the perfect amount of time and the pasta at this point looks soft and is steaming hot.
Cooked, the pasta is quite large with each piece being almost 2 inches long. It is a nice colour and looks like any other pasta really! Tucking into the pasta I have not really noticed any difference between this and the higher brands other than at some times, the pasta goes slightly slimy but this can be remedied by giving it a quick rinse before serving. The pasta is soft and has a very subtle taste. As with all pasta, this will need to be served with something else like a sauce if you want any flavour!
A serving (which Tesco recommend is around 75g) contains 265 calories, 1.9g sugars, 1.1g fat (0.4g saturates) and trace of salt.
I will continue to buy this as I cannot see the difference between this and other pastas and for 32p you cant go wrong!
Summary: Try it
More reviews in the field of Pasta / Noodles
- Great for a simple quick meal at work!
- Versatile noodles
- There super!!
- Great topped with cheese
- Yummy, easy to make up pasta!
- Almost flavourless
- Very cheesy pasta
- Where are the 11p days? :(
- Not getting MUGged off! Or SHOT down!
- Kraft cheesy pasta - easy to make - but not value for money. brought once - not ...
- Kent's Kitchen Posh Noodles Miso Style Prawn & Garlic
- Kent's Kitchen Posh Noodles Pad Thai
- Kent's Kitchen Posh Noodles Spicy Szechuan
- Kent's Kitchen Posh Noodles Teriyaki
- Kent's Kitchen Posh Noodles Beef Pho
- Vifon Tomato Instant Noodle Soup Mild
- Vifon Tom Yum Instant Noodle Soup Hot
- Vifon Mild Chicken Instant Noodle Soup Mild
- Vifon Hot And Sour Instant Noodle Soup Hot
- Vifon Golden Chicken Instant Noodle Soup Mild