“ Genre: Puzzle / DVD-ROM for Windows Vista / Windows XP / Release Date: 2012-04-27 / Published by Electronic Arts „
= = = = =
For those of you who don't know anything about this game or what it is I will tell you a bit about the game now. Bejeweled is a tile matching game which consists of a large grid of different coloured gems. You need to simply swap one gem with an adjacent gem to form a vertical or horizontal chain or three or more gems. When the gems are removed new gems will replace them making the grid full again. You will earn points when you remove gems and bonus points will be rewarded when more than three identical gems are formed. Cascades can sometimes happen when matching gems are formed by the falling gems from the top of the grid. You will earn extra points for this. There are normally two modes to play the game in which is Normal when you level up as soon as the bar reaches the end. You can also play the game timed, where you have to try and level up before the time at the bottom of the screen runs out. This mode is slightly more challenging. Bejeweled 3 has eight game modes to suit whatever mood you are in. This includes Classic, Quest, Lightning and Zen. Bejeweled 3 has different versions of the game to what can be found on Bejeweled 2, so if you are a fab of these games you will love this new version of Bejeweled. This is the biggest, brightest Bejewlled made, with HD graphics that makes the game sparkle. You can prove your skills and earn up to 65 badges.
= = = = = = = =
I purchased the game from Big Fish Games using a game club credit, otherwise it will cost about £5.39 to download and play. You can also purchase the disc from Amazon for £14.99, which includes free delivery.
= = = = = =
In this mode you simply get a grid filled with the brightly coloured gems. You simply keep matching up 3 gems or more to gain points. As you earn points the bar at the bottom of the grid will fill up. When this is full you will move onto the next level and so on. You continue to play the game until there are no more legal moves, which then means its game over and you need to start from level one again. I enjoy this mode as it's not timed and you can take you time looking at the grid to decide which gems to move. I have played this a few times and have got up to level 6 which means I unlocked a new game.
= = = = =
This is a new addition to the Bejeweled game, where you can play the game at your own pace. This particular mode is tailored to relax players as calming music plays in the background. You can continue to play this game as the replacement gems in the game are randomly generated in a way that there is always one more move for the player. There is a special breath modulation mode which produces several breathing patterns which players are encouraged to match. This is to slow the breathing rate of the player to allow them to calm down and de-stress. I enjoy playing this mode, although I wouldn't say that the music in the background relaxes me anymore than what it would when playing the other game modes.
= = = = = = =
This is a timed mode where you have to try to get as many points as possible within the 60 seconds time frame. If you line up special time gems or create chains you will increase your time limit which enables you to gather and collect more points. I have played this mode a few times and have scored lots of points through playing this mode. Although I enjoy playing this game, it's not my favourite mode out of all of them.
= = = = = =
This is definitely my favourite mode in the game. In this game mode you need to complete the Quests to restore the lost relics of Bejeweled. There are a total of 5 different levels in this section and each level has 8 different types of games. You need to complete at least 5 of these games in order to move onto the next level. I actually complete all 8 games in each level as I really enjoyed playing the games. As you move onto the next level the game will become harder. Most of the games are the same of each level, but just become slightly harder. Some of these modes have to be unlocked by playing some of the other games in the Quest mode first. I have included a few details of the games on each level below:
* BUTTERFLIES - Match 15 butterflies before they reach the spider. The different coloured butterflies start at the bottom of the grid, but whenever you make a move the butterflies move up one line. You need to match the correct coloured butterflies with the correct coloured gems in order to free them so they can fly away. If the butterflies reach the top of the grid the spider will catch them and the game is over. This game was easy to start off it but as I moved on to the higher levels it started to get a little harder due to the amount of butterflies on the grid that you had to try and save.
* ALCHEMY - Turn the grid to gold before the time runs out. Every time you match 3 coloured gems the line will go gold. You need to do this throughout this game in order to turn the whole grid gold before the time runs out. I found this quite easy and didn't have any problems completing this on any of the levels.
* STRATAMAX - Clear the gems in a certain amount of moves. In this game you only get a certain amount of moves to clear the gems on the grid. For example on the first level you have to clear 120 gems in just 20 moves. This is a lot easier than what it sounds if you make good use of the special power up and bomb gems. As you progress onto higher levels you will need to clear more gems in a certain amount of moves.
* BALANCED - Match red and blue coloured gems but keep things balanced. There is a set of scales on the top of the grid, the right one represents blue and the left one represents red. You need to match red and blue gems to fill each side of the scales but you need to get them balanced otherwise if you collect more of one colour the scales will start to weigh down one side and it will be game over. Although this game sounds hard, I actually found this to be one of the easiest games.
* AVALANCHE - Match the gems on the board before it fills up completely. At the start of the game the grid will have some gems on it. Every time you match 3 gems in a row another set of gems will fall from the top of the grid. You need to remove a certain amount of gems before the grid fills up completely. I found this game very easy when I first started it but it becomes a little harder as you move up levels.
* BURIED TREASURE - Uncover 3 buried treasures before the time runs out. As you match up gems it will remove sand from the grid. You need to remove all the sand which is on top of the treasure to enable to collect it. The first levels of this game are easy but become harder as the sand covers the treasure back up after being left after a few seconds.
* TIME BOMB - Match bomb gems before they count down to zero. On the grid will be some bomb gems which count down, these need to be matched up with the same coloured gems in order to take them off the board. If the bomb gets to zero it's game over and you will need to start this game again. The first level starts off with you having to match up just 10 bombs, but this number increases as you reach the harder levels.
* POKER - Win a certain amount of credits with poker hands. You need to match up the gems in order to earn poker points. This is one of my favourite games and one which I really enjoyed. On the left hand side of the screen is a board with the points you will receive for matching up different gems, for example, 3 of a kind, flush, full house. Each time you score these using the gems you will be awarded credits. You must earn a certain amount of credits in order to complete the game; how-ever you only have a certain amount of poker hands in order for you to do it. For example, win 3000 credits with 10 poker hands.
* ICE STORM - Match gems before the ice reaches the top of the board. I found this one of the hardest game to complete, especially in the harder levels. Ice slowly creeps up from the bottom of the grid and in order to keep the ice down you need to clear gems in its path. If the ice reaches the top it will slowly begin to freeze which means the game is over and you will need to try this game again. This was hard on the last level as the ice moves very quickly so you don't get much chance to try and get the ice levels back down.
= = = = = = = = = = = =
The graphics to the game are bright, colourful and sharp and you can easily tell the difference between the coloured and shaped gems. The special bombs or special gems are easy to see on the board due to them flashing or being in a slightly different colour to the other gems. The sound to the game is very clear. When playing the Quest mode you hear some different sounds to what you would hear when playing the classic version of the game. You don't have to necessarily have the sound on when playing the game as there isn't a lot to hear but I find that I can concentrate more when the sound to the game is on. I enjoyed playing all the game modes and trying to collect as many different badges as I could. I also enjoyed trying to complete the games to a certain level to unlock other games which are a bit different and slightly more challenging to play. In terms of the game-play I found it very good and the game was very responsive when I wanted to move gems to make a row. I didn't have any issues when playing the game such as slow moves or the game freezing during game-play. The colours used in the game are very bright and vibrant.
= = = = = = = =
This game is brilliant and is much better than what I thought it was going to be. The graphics and colours to the game are sharp and really easy to see and the gameplay is also good. I love the fact that if you complete a game up to a certain level, you unlock a new different game as this is something to try and work towards to. I have unlocked most of the extra games apart from the one in lightning mode, but I hope to unlock this within the next few days. I thought I would get bored of this game very quickly; how-ever I haven't which surprised me. If you enjoy match 3 games or puzzle games or if you have enjoyed the other bejeweled games then I highly recommend this game to you. In terms of value, I think it was very reasonable.
(review will also appear on ciao)
Most people will have Bejeweled in some form or another. However, Bejeweled 3 tops all the other games. The premise for the game is still the same, and is extremely simple; Match the different gems together in either groups of 3, 4 or 5. Matching the gems in groups of four give you small power ups such as an explosion, while connecting 5 gems together will give you a magical cube that will destroy every gem of a certain type that is currently on the board.
The game starts with 4 different games modes, with 4 more modes to unlock by completing certain challenges within the different modes. The first mode is 'Classic mode'. Classic mode is very simple; you must connect the different gems together to score points to complete the level. This is repeated for every level until there are no more moves available, at which point the game ends.
The second game mode is Zen mode. Zen mode is a never ending game, which just allows you to keep playing the game until you get bored. The added feature of Zen mode is it adds various things that can help you relax while you are playing the game. This includes adding things like breathing modulation, which lights and darkens the board to tell you when to breathe in and out, adding ambient sounds while you're playing the game, displaying motivational mantras, and adding Binaural beats. All these are optional, which means you can just play a never ending game if you are bored.
The third game mode is Lightning mode. The game starts with one minute, and you try and get as many points as you can. You can add time to the next lightning round by connecting up special time gems or creating chains. If the time chains aren't matched in one of the rounds they become power gems, and the game ends once the time runs out and no more time gems have been collected.
The final game mode is Quest mode. Quest mode sets you different challenges to complete. For each challenge you complete you unlock a piece of an ancient relic, once all the pieces have been collected you can move on to the next relic. The game has different challenges, such as collecting 120 gems in a certain number of moves, or making sure you collect a balanced amount of both red and blue gems.
Each of these modes unlocks one of the secret modes by completed a certain challenge within the game mode. Poker mode is unlocked by completed 5 levels of the classic game. Poker mode gives you five turns to match gems. Once the 5 gems have been collected you are awarded points based on your "hand", such as a pair or three of a kind. at a certain point a Skull coin will appear on one of the hands. If your hand matches the hand with the skull coin the coin is flipped. If the coin lands on the clover you are safe and can play the next hand, but if it lands on the skull the game is over.
Once you complete 5 levels of Zen mode you unlock Butterfly mode. In Butterfly mode parts of the game board have different coloured butterflies which must be connected together with the gems of the same colour. The butterflies start at the bottom of the board and move up one row each turn. Should a butter fly reach the top of the board it is captured by the spider and the game is over.
If you get 100,000 points in Lightning mode you unlock Ice Storm. In Ice Storm towers of ice rise from the bottom of the screen to the top. The aim of the game is to keep joining together gems in order to destroy the columns of ice. Should all the columns of ice reach the top of the board, the game board will freeze and the game is over.
The final secret game mode is unlocked once you have collected the first relic in Quest mode, this mode is called Diamond Mine. This mode has a layer of dirt at the bottom of the screen that must be destroyed by matching the gems directly on top of it. As you destroy the dirt you collect gold and unlock buried gems. The aim of the game is to clear all of the dirt above the line before the time runs out.