* Prices may differ from that shown
The Sims 3: Ambitions widens your sim's horizons, opening them up to a number of new features and careers for them to explore and for you to enjoy. For the first time ever you can follow your sims to work and dictate how they act and interact with their coworkers, bosses and potential customers.
- Firefighter: Athleticism and handiness are useful in this profession. Tasks include upgrading and maintaining both the station's alarm system and fire truck as well as socializing with fellow
- Private Investigator: Unique among the possible careers, Investigators work freelance, having no set time or location to work. Instead, they acquire cases either by going to the police station, researching cases on a computer, or waiting for clients to call them. Tasks you can partake in include sneaking around mostly and even searching through bins!
- Ghost Hunter: Sims use various machines to trap or ward off ghosts, similar to the Ghostbusters film franchise, and the Nintendo GameCube game, Luigi's Mansion.
- Stylist: Stylists work in a salon, and there they can make over customers. Stylists have access to clothing and hair options that other Sims cannot easily access. The stylist career combines Create a Sim mode with live mode which is an exciting new concept and probably the most creative career and useful as you can finally fix those awfully dressed Non-Playable Characters!
- Architectural Designer: Architectural design is a creative career path and one that can greatly improve and change your entire town. Sims throughout the neighborhood will call your architectural designer sim to do a huge assortment of design jobs, which may include the addition of a man cave, a book nook, a kitchen redesign, or an entire home makeover. Jobs are driven by the clients themselves--and not at random.
Thoughts to consider:
- While it is possible to control your sim's directly at work with this EP, original careers such as the Medical career still remain as rabbit holes.
- Further, if you are playing a particularly large household, I found it difficult to watch and care for the family whilst shadowing my sim at work. Maybe I'm just not that great at multi-tasking, but my stay at home sims/children easily became neglected.
- Twinbrook is a neighborhood which comes with Ambitions. It is most likely named after the two rivers that lie on either side of the more exclusive part of town.
- The way in which the tattoo system is set up means it is possible for players to produce unique designs by messing around with tattoo shapes, colors and layers.
Whilst it was an interesting concept, playing on the Open for Business EP from Sims 3, I personally wasn't super excited when I got used to game-play. It became a bit tedious once you'd gotten used to the careers and short cuts to achieving success, and the only real variety was a few new additional skills that were added in, such as inventing and sculpting (which comes with a sculpting table). New items are related to the new careers such as a drawing table for the architectural design career.
Ambitions was released mid 2010 and is the second expansion pack for The Sims 3. For the first time since The Sims 3 was released one year ago, it finally adds something to the game. The Sims 3 alone, I found it slightly boring game with very little for the Sims to do and nowhere for them to go except a few parks, libraries, gyms and other locations. There were few hobby items and most of the plots had so called fake buildings where your sim will disappear and you are forced to blankly stare at a progress bar showing progress of whatever it is you sims are doing.
The first expansion pack, "World Adventures" was a disappointment. Basically the only new thing was that you could send your Sims on vacation. It quickly became boring and added little to the game itself.
But now with the ambitions expansions, developers have finally seen the light and give the game more substance, both in gameplay and new objects. I did not expect much from this package, simply because previous was disappointing. I was really pleasantly surprised when I installed it last month and played for the first time. Finally, there are things for your sims to do and most of the time you see them now and they do not disappear into some house.
Your sim can now choose a profession instead of just having a job. There are some good jobs to choose from. My sim has just started as an inventor and he had to go to a new neighborhood: the Junkyard to search for scrap valuables. So far he only made some simple things but he should progress into making funky looking robots and eventually even a time machine.
Meanwhile, my simpartner follows a different path and is a sculptor and spends many hours from home to sculpt with clay, wood and even ice and has just recognized for her work. And that is one of the great features of this new expansion. You get to watch your Sims when they are at work. I think this really adds a lot more. The other occupations apart from the two described above are:
Architectural Designer, Arts, Teacher, Fireman, Private Detective and Stylist.
You get five new community lots (referred to as 'Hangout Spots'), you can visit and your sim can interact with other Sims. These new lots include:
Consignment Store - Sell your unwanted items and inventions, and buy second hand stuff.
Fire Department - Your firefighter sim go to work there.
Laundry - Yes, your Sims can now go to the laundry. You can also create your own washer, dryer and / or clothesline and laundry basket purchase to use at home.
Junkyard - Go here to buy scrap for you sim, but also to sell your household appliances.
Salon - You can find a complete makeover by a stylist or get a tattoo.
Your sims have finally some new toys to play with! There are objects that are relevant to the professions that you can buy for home use as a fireman's pole! New toys include a trampoline. Your Sims can bounce and fall. You also have a game called Gnubb wooden figurines they have to throw down. And best of all a new engine called 'The Beast'! There are new household items, such as the above washer and dryer, new beds, tables, chairs, sofas, a music box (which comes with a gnome!), Decor and lighting. There are quite a few new Build Mode decorative patterns, mostly wood floors, marble floor tiles, and decorative ceiling panels. Finally you can also choose from a variety of new styles.
Everything included makes this a valuable expansion pack and I definitely recommend it if you are like me bored with the basic game and the other expansion pack. It gives the game a bit new and fun that makes it interesting again. The objects are well done but it is mainly the new occupations that make them interesting. Yes, The Sims 3: Ambitions is definitely a good expansion for this game for 11 pounds you have to pick it up!
****The sims 3 ambitions ****
A couple of months ago i saw this game on sale for only £2!. I am quite a big sims fan but to be honest i wasn't that bothered by this expansion until i saw that you could control the sims when they were at work as well - something that i think is new to this expansion pack and you also had more options in the creating the houses section of the game.
This expansion pack gives you a lot more options with the sims jobs. I like how the sims can own property so they don't need to have a job but still have money coming in. They also seem to be able to earn new skills like inventing and sculpting which they can then
use to earn money.
This game has the following system requirements:
OS - Windows XP/Vista/7
Processor - 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent for XP/ 2.4GHz P4 processor for Vista,7
Memory 1 GB XP/ 1.5 GB Vista, 7
Hard drive 3.5 GB Free Space for installation plus additional space for saved games
Video Card 128MB with pixel shader 2.0 support
I think everyone knows that you need the sims 3 installed first before you can play this and if you are installing multiple disks it seems to work better if you install them in the order they come out (maybe wrong with that but all my friends seem to do it that way)So easy to install now as well and although i cant remember exactly how long it took i was making a family within the hour.
I have quite a new laptop(runs windows 7 ,has quite a large hardriver etc and the game loads up really quick, not like the old sims where you started it loading then went and made a cup of tea..
Overall i do think this game is worth it - what i paid for it anyway. There is not a lot of extra clothes,hairstyles with this expansion pack but i don't mind as i use the online community website anyway.
This expansion pack for The Sims 3 is very good. It gives you lots of new professions and skills. You can become a fire fighter, a private investigator, a doctor, an architectural designer, a ghost hunter, an inventor, a sculpture, a stylist, and more.
In Create a Sim mode or at the salon, your Sims can get a tattoo of whatever you want, where ever you want on their body. This is a new feature for the Sims 3 Ambitions.
There are also new skills that your Sims can learn. These include inventing, sculpting, and tattooing.
In these professions, you get a weekly stipend, and as you get better, you get more money per week. However, you also get money for each individual job you do. For example, if you are an architectural designer, you will get a weekly stipend, as well as money for each house you decorate every day. Usually you will get the choice to do three jobs per day.
Overall, this is one of the best Sims 3 expansion packs out there. I would recommend this to anyone who has the base game.