“ Manufacturer: Pets at Home / Type: Small Pet Food „
I have 2 pet rats, Phoebe & Izzy, we adopted them from an animal rescue, and they were on muesli when we adopted them.
After a week or so of getting to know them and watching them settle in, we noticed they were selective feeding (picking out the bits they like, and leaving the rest!).
Obviously any rat (or animal owner for that matter) knows that selective feeding is not good for them, because they miss out on vital vitamins and the likes.
Popped down to our local pets at home to choose a new nugget based feed for them, and this was on sale.
It should have been around £7 for a 4kg bag, but was £3. The date and everything was fine on it, they just had an overstock.
So we picked this up and gradually swapped their food to this one.
They absolutely love it, they enjoy the texture and taste of the food; they're much healthier for it too!
Its a great price, even when it's not in the sale and it lasts for ages! We're currently a quarter of a way through the bag and we bought it 4 months ago!
So its excellent value for money!
The only downside there is, is that the 4KG bag is harder to store than the 2KG version they do.
Other than that, it's the perfect product and my rats adore it! I'd recommend it to any rat owner!
I have 4 rats, all with varying appetites, and I give them Pets At Home Rat Nuggets as the basic staple of their diet. They are (mostly) happy healthy little creatures so far!
The nuggets are a 'complete' food, so technically you don't need to give your rats anything else. However a life spent eating just these would be a bit dull, and a bit of variety is never a bad thing so I also feed my rats fresh fruit and veg, small scraps of chicken and fish and occasional treats. If humans are supposed to eat 5 fruit and veg a day it can't do rats any harm to have a bit of fresh, tastier food either!
The rats seem to enjoy the taste of the nuggets, but I do think they get bored of them as they will always choose an alternative first over the nuggets if two foods are available. They have a slightly meaty smell and actually aren't unlike some dry dog foods. In fact my dog likes to eat the ones the rats throw out of their cage!
I keep my rats bowl topped up at all times and a large bag of these still lasts for months. Its certainly a cost effective way to feed your animals. One benefit of these nuggets over other dried rat foods is that because there is no variety, the rats can't pick and choose which bits they eat and which they leave, as they do with the muesli style foods. You know your rat is getting the full nutritional value of the food.
In summary, a good practical 'base' for your rats diet, but I recommend supplementing it with some tastier, healthier fresh food, and of course a chocolate drop every now and then. When you only live 2 years why not enjoy it a bit!
Pets at home rat nuggets are a complete food for pet rats. This means that it provides them with everything they need in their diet (with the obvious exception of water).
- It is recommended to feed each rat 15-20g of nuggets per day (so you can see that even if you have a number of rats like I do (5) a large bag will last you a long time).
- 4kg bags are currently priced at £7.79 and a 1kg bag is £2.69 - I'd recommend getting the larger bag for the overall cost saving factor.
- If you are planning to change your rats diet to this food, you should make the swap gradual - mix their old food with the nuggets, gradually increasing the amount of nuggets. This will ensure a smooth change over and avoid giving your rat/s an upset stomach.
- Provides all the necessary minerals, nutrients etc. for good health.
- Stops your rats being picky and only eating the bits they like best (as happens when you feed them rat museli).
- Comes in a strong plastic bag which is recyclable
- 100% money back guarantee
- Comes in two different sized bags - 1kg and 4kg, the latter of which is of course better value.
- The nuggets help to grind their teeth and stop them growing too long (which can be painful and costly to get them cut by the vets).
- Some people may think this food provides no variety (taste wise) for their pet rats, however you can always combat this, if you wish, by giving them treats.
I would recommend this food to anyone with pet rats - all my rats love it, so much so that as soon as I fill their food bowl they rush it and it's empty within 5 minutes. It's also great value and good for them so what could be better?