Product Type: Ferplast small pet accessories
Newest Review: ... though being red it does not match the rest of the cage. The water bottle is a standard Ferplast sippy bottle, that uses a ball valve t... more
Duna hamster cage
Ferplast Mini Duna Hamster Cage
Member Name: Huomenna
Ferplast Mini Duna Hamster Cage
Date: 01/10/10, updated on 01/10/10 (133 review reads)
Advantages: easy to keep clean, keeps all bedding inside, comes with accessories
Disadvantages: not much ventilation, nowhere to hang extra things off of
I've had a couple of these cages in the past (I had alot of hamsters as a child) and I still keep one now as an extra emergency cage - I also use it to transport my pet rats to the vet!
The cage is suitable for hamsters and pet mice. It would be too small for rats and not durable enough for gerbils.
The duna is mainly plastic - a deep plastic base, with a plastic top that clips on at the ends, and a large metal 'door' on the top. There is a small notch in the side of the plastic base which is where the nozzle of the provided water bottle sticks through. Inside the cage there is one plastic level with a ladder, small plastic house, food bowl and wheel.
- All the plastic means that you won't have any bedding chucked out of the cage to hoover up.
- Comes with all the necessary accessories for use (although you may want to buy more)
- No chance of hamsters squeezing out through gaps in bars
- There is a textured surface to the plastic level which means your hamsters won't slide around on it.
- As the cage doesn't have any sticky out parts, it's quite easy to fit into smallish spaces (cage dimensions are: 27x39x55cm)
- Where the water bottle enters the cage I found my hamsters realised that this hole led to the outside world and they kept on chewing at it day after day until the could escape! This is the only part of the cage that isn't escape proof (in my experience).
- As the cage is mainly enclosed in plastic there isn't as much air circulating through it which is good from the sense that your pet won't be subject to drafts, but it does mean that unpleasant smells will become apparant more quickly thus the cage will need to be cleaned more.
- Not much to keep your hamster entertained and no ability to add extra levels, also not really possible to add any hanging accessories due to the smooth plastic nature of most of the cage.
-The accesories aren't of the greatest quality (a bit flimsy and clumsy) but they are functional - some people still choose to replace them with higher quality alternatives, which can easily be done as there are a number of alternative wheels, houses and water bottles that will fit this cage well.
Price wise you can get hold of this cage for £29.99 from pets at home which is a fair price for this particular cage and hamster cages in general.
Summary: A nice hamster cage, but not perfect
More reviews in the field of Small Pet Accessory
- A bit on the dusty side
- Poo review.
- peace of mind on dark nights
- Great substrate
- Savic Sputnik- A pet toy that's out of this world!
- Lavender scented wood shavings.
- Percy's Posh Woodland Retreat (sans hot-tub)
- Going head over heels with this wheel
- Not 100% silent but better than your average hamster wheel
- Scratch and Newton Bottle Snug
- Thickets House Chinchilla and Degu Cage
- Pets At Home Rabbit Folding Run
- Pets at Home Lavender Woodshavings
- Pets at Home Poppy Den Hutch
- Bunny Business Double Hutch BB-36-DH-TR
- Back-2-Nature Small Animal Bedding and Litter
- Pets at Home Soft Fabric Carrier
- Ferplast Combi 1 Hamster Cage
- Ferplast Lab