Newest Review: ... how the pet shop told us was best to do it and we had read on the internet that it was also a good idea. We then got just a couple of... more
Goldfish as pets need a lot more understanding.
Member Name: LoolooMe
Advantages: Great pets, cheap and easy to look after.
Disadvantages: Can not hug them. Will not go well if you do not understand how to take care of them.
People have a lot of miss conceptions about fish as pets, and fish in general. Maybe this is because they are not classed as an animal (the RSPCA does not have any responsibility over them), maybe it's because we can't touch them. Whatever the reason fish still do however, make very entertaining pets.
The main problem people have is the set-up costs. With Cats, dogs, rabbits etc the set-up cost is lower but the on going cost is higher.
So what will you need to start fish keeping (gold fish)?
- Tank (2inches of fish per US gallon of water -most gold fish grow to about 5-7cm)
-Plants (plastic or real. The real ones do get eaten, however surly that is a good sign that your fish has a varied diet)
- water conditioner (this is to make tap water safe)
- two weeks (to cycle the tank)
- a good local knowledge source or the internet (I have found yahoo answers to be very good as well as lots of forums).
Then once they are set up expect that your gold fish will live between 3 to 7 years. Always cure any illness quickly and clean out some of the tank once a week and never use soap!
All in all if the practice of keeping goldfish is understood then you will have healthy happy goldfish, which means you will get more enjoyment out of them. However like all pets do not even consider keeping them if you will not commit to keep them healthy and happy for the rest of their natural life.
Summary: Learn how to look after them. Care for them as they are dependant on you.
More reviews in the field of Pet / Animal
- African Grey parrots
- BE PREPARED FOR A RUN FOR YOUR MONEY WITH THE BORDER COLLIE
- The lions of the kitty world
- Border Collie
- an unfair press on an amazing companion
- Chick-chick-chick-chick - Chicken!!
- Man's (or woman's) best friend.
- Ants... I love to watch them, but not in my kitchen.
- Be more dog with a Maine Coon
- I love my cocker spaniel!