Product Type: Kawai pianos
Newest Review: ... means, or is so compact it can fold down to the size of a rubiks cube. No, it is regular piano sized, however, and it has been able to fit... more
Beautiful piano- however soft fall capability has deteriorated over the years
Member Name: jeremyjiao
Advantages: Beautiful quality of sound and aesthetic appeal
Disadvantages: Soft fall function no longer working
We have had this piano for several years, bought for a couple of thousands of pounds, and here is my view on it:
- Beautiful black glossy finish, and smooth, well functioning keys. Though the black paintwork has become a little dusty and smeared with fingerprints (also with a few scratches due to the careless transportation of the mover's). There are no chips on the keys as appeared on my previous piano, and altogether the piano seems to be in brilliant condition throughout several years of ownership
- Fairly transportable... for a piano. I'm not trying to say that this is pocket sized by any means, or is so compact it can fold down to the size of a rubiks cube. No, it is regular piano sized, however, and it has been able to fit through relatively narrow doors. Because of the lovely quality of sound (explored in the next paragraph), this is a beautiful alternative to those who have not the space for a grand piano.
- Beautiful quality of sound. This piano had been in a different, larger room, and though not bad, the quality of sound was not absolutely excellent. Though I am not a master of sound projection, etc., I can safely say that moving it to a relatively smaller room with less other furniture and large windows (not sure if that influenced anything or not) greatly projected the sound, and made it sound much lovelier; this is what I would recommend should you decide to purchase this piano.
- Has the basic three pedals; una corda (soft), sostenuto (mute) and sustain (loud). The mute pedal is very useful for when others are in no need of distraction (with phone calls etc.) and not waking up the neighbours, preventing complaints if you intend to practice early in the morning or late at night.
- Has an advanced soft fall system, which stops the piano lid from smashing straight down with a loud bang, causing damage to the piano and potentially to yourself. This, I found, was very useful. HOWEVER, last year, this system finally ceased to work (one side of the leverage system snapped and splintered, though not too noticeably). From then on, I had to take care to close the piano gently myself. Though I found this defect disappointing, and will take a star off an otherwise perfect, 5 star review, I do not blame it on bad quality as such, as it has been under quite intense usage, moved several times throughout different rooms and owned for several years.
In conclusion, I was and still am very impressed by this piano, with its lovely sound and aesthetic appeal- though the defect with the soft fall system might prevent you from buying such an instrument, as the purchase of a piano, I think, is quite a major investment.
Summary: Beautiful piano, very pleased with it