Newest Review: ... to the boys to chop or they will get bored and send back massive chunks! *Growing* Onions are quite an easy vegetable to grow, and my... more
Easy grower, and can be used to bulk up and add flavour to every meal.
Member Name: KatieNeish
Advantages: Easy to grow, and can grown in pots.
Disadvantages: Must be watered reguarly to help them swell.
Onions are great in any meal, be it as part of the sauce, or as a stand alone vegetable. You buy packs of about 50 onion bulbs for about £3. They should be planted in March, with the bulb upright, with their tips sticking up above the ground, with about 10cm between each one (If growing from seed, grow in drills 13mm deep, and thin out to about 10cm once large enough). This close spacing means that you can fit loads into really small spaces. Since they're quite shallow rooted, it would also be possible to plant them in pots or troughs. The should start sprouting from the top and the bulb will visibly swell. Early september you will need to physically bend the tops down, and once they have turned brown you can harvest them. Store them by plaiting the tops in and together. They can also be lifted as and when needed from the ground, as soon as they get big enough.
Summary: Great addition to any meal and pretty easy and cheap to grow.
More reviews in the field of Plant
- Don't just pick your own.....Grow your own!!
- Great as a base ingredient, a snack, and accompaniant, and really easy to grow.
- Welcome to my little shop of horrors.
- No - not THAT 'Apple' this time!
- THE DEVIL IN MY HOUSE IS UNDER CONTROL
- An easy start to home growing!
- Base ingredient to many meals and easy to grow.
- Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!
- Idiot proof flowers!
- Easy and cheap to grow