Product Type: Alternative Software PS3 games
Newest Review: ... A good depth of detail means that you get 90+ teams and 31 stadiums and more licenses than any other rugby game to have been r... more
Rugby comes to the consoles but is it next generation?
Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge (PS3)
Member Name: tangoman84
Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge (PS3)
Advantages: Great and smooth graphics, good gameplay, fun, good presentation standards
Disadvantages: Some poor attention to detail in commentary, expensive with no demo available to try, some poor AI
Having played the previous rugby offerings on the consoles in the form of Jonah Lomu Rugby and EA Sports Rugby (a number of versions) I have long looked forward to the time when a decent rugby game would be released on the next generation consoles but is this that game I have been awaiting?
- A well thought out and implemented control system allows players to pick this up and play it with ease but it will still take time before you are going to master.
- Excellent graphics for a rugby game means that you feel closer to the real thing than ever before and will find a more immersive experience as you get drawn in by the excellent player likenesses.
- A good depth of detail means that you get 90+ teams and 31 stadiums and more licenses than any other rugby game to have been released on the console ever before.
- Commentary from Grant Nisbett and Justin Marshall is of a good enough standard that this is going to add to rather than detract from the experience of each and every game.
- A well thought out presentation delivers an experience that allows this to be more than just a game and draw the player in.
- Smooth and clear gameplay which allows you to enjoy the real feel of playing rugby without getting frustrated with lag that can be experienced with other games.
- This is a very expensive game for the console with most places charging £50 for it and you are unlikely to get this for less than £40 which is a risky thing for people wishing to dip their toe as there is no demo available so you need to spend a lot to get a chance to try it.
- Whilst there are some official licenses you do lack many international licenses as these were snapped up by the World Cup rugby game which came out at around the same time so if you are looking to play as your favourite international team with their real kits and have real players then you may feel somewhat disappointed.
- Some of the commentary does have mistakes in as you are told Murrayfield is in Glasgow where it is Edinburgh which is just poor as this is so known within the world of rugby.
- AI can be poor at some times which enables you to score rather easily but this is just down to you getting the difficulty level set to the right setting for you and acknowledging that sometimes easy points can be scored in the rugby game too.
Overall for me this is a good offering and a step in the right direction for rugby games on the console but with a high price it is a risky one for you to try and something which I am sure puts a lot of people off. A good game with a well thought out and delivered control system that enables you to pick up and play this game but it will take some time to get the controls perfected. A fun game but maybe not quite worth the money unless you are a huge rugby fan.
Summary: A good offering but it needs more to take that extra step to be able to become what it promises
More reviews in the field of Playstation 3 Game
- Pro Evolution Soccer but do you need to be a pro to play?
- Another movie tie in that flops worse than a slinky?
- Simulated life on a high def console
- Final Fantasy Hate!
- Perfect 3rd person shooter
- Ridiculous, hilarious but just like Saints Row 3
- Tomb Raider - The Reboot She Deserves
- Brilliant, out of the ordinary fun
- A good first person shooter for all abilities
- The Last of Us - A Naughty Dog Masterpiece
- Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition (PS3)
- Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days - Limited Edition (PS3)
- Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter
- Beats by Dr. Dre Pill Speaker
- Belkin 2-Port Car Mini Charger with ChargeSync Cable
- Belkin 6 Lightning to USB Charge/Sync Cable
- Belkin Audio Splitter
- Madden NFL 11 (PS3)
- NBA 2K11 (PS3)
- Dead Rising 2 - Steel Book Edition (PS3)