This was my first NFL game only a year after I got into the sport. I am use to playing other sports games so it was pretty easy to integrate with the game. The main mode I played was the franchise mode, offering the chance to shape and mould a franchise from season to season. Although a certain amount of knowledge of the sport is needed to effectively manage the franchise.
As for the gameplay, it is fun to play although a little slow. It takes quite long to complete a match, playing at 6/7 mins a quarter. Any shorter and it was too short and you wouldn't get into the game.
The graphics are pretty good although the crowds could do with some work and there are little things like every player on the sideline wearing the same number and looking the same. The presentation is very good as expected for an EA Sports game, with slick transitions and good atmosphere even if the commentators are a little annoying.
There is a large active online community but mostly in America, therefore you have to choose carefully when you play online. It is very active in the evening UK time.
Having watched this years Superbowl between the Saints and Colts I rushed out the next morning to pick this game up from my local store. I was fairly new to the NFL and still learning the intricacies of the game. This game does a great job of allowing both newcomers and experienced players to enjoy the game of American Football when you dont quite have the physical prowess to play properly.
The gameplay is simple enough as you fight for a first down using either the passing or running game. The passing is handled well with each receiver assigned to a button and you can either throw a bullet pass by holding the button or give them something to go up and catch by just tapping it. Runnning plays are just as simple as the game handles the hand off for you and you are simply tasked with finding the game and fighting through it. Kicking could be made a little more intercative however as you simply line up and flick the stick back then forwards to kick the ball.
The games presentation is great and the on field action could well be mistaken for watching the action on a Sunday. Fan animations are not great but then they never seem to be in sports games. You can hear plays being called whilst on the pitch and the noise of the fans is there constantly giving you a good atmosphere as you look for a touchdown.
Overall this is a great game of American Football and suitable for anyone with even a basic grasp of the game. Only thing missing is Wrmbley Stadium for the NFL london game which would make this even better.
Madden NFL 10 sees EA Sports return with yet another installment of their hugely successful American Football franchise and thankfully this version does not disappoint the games loyal fans and introduces a new audience to the amazingly popular game.
So what is so amazing about Madden 10?
- The game has once again got amazing graphics and presentation quality and thankfully this leads to a fully loveable game that draws those playing and those watching in.
- The game once again provides truly fantastic gameplay with the control system simple to understand allowing those who are new to the game to learn fast and those experienced to perfect their plays.
- Sound quality throughout the game is as you would expect with EA Sports in that it is truly crisp and creates a game experience second to none.
- The game once again gives the gamer true control over plays with in depth playbooks, audio plays and fakes to outwit your opposition.
- The camera angles in the game have been greatly improved on previous versions allowing for a great view of the field and helping you to make your decisions based on informed decision making rather than guess work.
- Improvements have been made to the fumbles in the game allowing for these to feel more of a challenge that can be won than luck of the draw.
I am huge fan of the game and have played this thoroughly and have found no negatives or problems that I can speak of.
So in summary this is an amazing sports game which allows the new gamer to play and have a chance and the experienced gamer to play and perfect their plays. The game is an amazing presentation of what American Football is all about and provides a great, atmoshperic experience that I love. All in all I have to recommend the game as it is all positive in my experience.