Product Type: Sega PS3 games
Newest Review: ... amount of variety and longevity to the game. Every time you race, you also gain Sega Miles. These can be used in the Sega Shop (built i... more
Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing (PS3)
Member Name: xjodieleex
Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing (PS3)
Advantages: fun and addictive
Disadvantages: a bit frustrating at times
==About The Game==
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing is a part of the Superstars series produced for Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Nintendo DS and Microsoft Windows, as the name suggests it is a racing game. It was published by Sega and developed by Sumo Digital. It was released in Europe on February 26th 2010. A mobile version of the game has been developed by Gameloft.
==Price and Availability==
Sonic & Sega All-Stars racing is available new on Amazon for £18.59. It is on sale on many websites that sell console games; it is also easily available in high street stores that sell PS3 games.
There are 21 playable characters in the game. These are:
* Sonic the Hedgehog - from Sonic the Hedgehog
* Miles "Tails" Prower - from Sonic the Hedgehog 2
* Doctor Eggman - from Sonic the Hedgehog
* Amy Rose - from Sonic the Hedgehog CD
* Shadow the Hedgehog - from Sonic Adventure 2
* AiAi - from Super Monkey Ball
* Amigo - from Samba de Amigo
* Billy Hatcher - from Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
* Knuckles the Echidna - from Sonic the Hedgehog 3
* Big the Cat - from Sonic Adventure
* Beat - from Jet Set Radio
* Ulala - from Space Channel 5
* B.D. Joe - from Cray Taxi
* Zobio and Zobiko - from The House of the Dead: EX
* Ryo Hazuki - from Shenmue
* Jacky Bryant and Akira Yuki - from Virtua Fighter
* Mobo and Robo - from Bonanza Bros.
* Chuih, ChuBei, ChuPea and ChuBach - from ChuChu Rocket!
* Opa-Opa - from Fantasy Zone
* Alex Kidd - from Alex Kidd in Miracle World
There are also two characters available for download, these are: Ryo-F and Metal Sonic.
The game is very similar to others on the market such as Mario Kart and Crash Team Racing. Players choose their character and race various circuits themed on different Sega franchises. Players can collect power-ups to boost their speed or slow down their opponents. As with games like Mario Kart you sometimes get three of the same item in one power-up, on this game you can choose to fire or activate them all at once. An additional speed boost can be gained by successfully doing a drift, the longer the drift the more of a boost you get. Performing tricks mid-air also gives you a speed boost when done correctly. Each character has a unique special ability called an All-Star move; they are different for each character and can sometimes mean the difference between winning and losing a race. There are three different categories of vehicles, these are; cars, bikes and hovercrafts. During gameplay the player earns Sega miles, these are earned after every race and you get more if you win the races. Sega miles help level up your Sega license and they can also be spent in the in-game shop to unlock additional content such as characters, songs and tracks.
There are four modes in single player; Grand Prix, Single Race, Missions and Time Trials. Multiplayer modes include Free Race, Arena, King of the Hill, Collect the Emeralds and Capture the Chao.
There are quite a few trophies in this game and a lot of them are pretty easy to get just by playing the game itself. You get trophies for levelling up your Sega License for example which levels up by earning Sega miles that you earn whilst doing races to complete the game. Some of the trophies are a bit harder to complete, like the trophy for passing all the missions with an AAA rating. The trickier trophies may require a lot of patience but the game is fun whether you are doing the trophies or not. You can get around half of the trophies pretty easily without much effort on your part.
This was the first game I played on my PS3 and to begin with I didn't like it as it seemed too fast paced and made my head spin a bit. I'm used to playing Mario Kart which is a bit slower paced and not as flashy as this one. After playing it for an hour or two however I got used to the game and decided that I did in fact like the game. It only took me a couple of days to get around half of the trophies, after the halfway mark they started getting harder. Some of the missions seem almost impossible to complete, you can get right near where you want to be and then lose out in the last second. It is really frustrating! It is a great game though and with so many characters to choose from you will easily be able to find one that suits you. Personally I like to play as Sonic as he's fast and easy to handle.
I would definitely recommend this game to people, with the warning that it can be hair-pullingly frustrating!
Summary: I have also uploaded this review onto the website Ciao.
More reviews in the field of Playstation 3 Game
- Fight the dead. Fear the living.
- One of the greatest gaming experiences of modern times
- Meh, next time I'll stick with Samurai Warriors.
- COD4 Old but amazing
- Assassins Creed II - Highly Addictive!
- Game over man GAME OVER !
- Baby, Baby, Baby I'm a Hitman
- Persona meets Street Fighter
- Top o' the mornin to ya, or whatever time it is