Product Type: Electronic Arts PS3 games
Newest Review: ... tricks can be a pain as the game gives you little explanation on actually executing different moves. This isn't a problem in most of th... more
SSX - Nostalgia at its best!
Member Name: thejarofdirt882
Advantages: nostalgia, fun events
Disadvantages: lack of head to head racing
Being a bit of an adrenaline junky, snowboarding is a sport I would really like to have a go at. SSX is a fun way to have a go - despite it being pretty unrealistic - in the comfort, and safety, of your own home. SSX is this generation of console's entry in a classic Playstation series. And it pretty much lives up to the expectations.
Throwing you in a little at the deep end, the movement basics are easy to master but the tricks can be a pain as the game gives you little explanation on actually executing different moves. This isn't a problem in most of the race modes, but it becomes hard when you're doing a trick event. Seeing the AI racers end up a million points ahead of you when you think you're doing okay can be a little depressing.
The game has a neat feature that nearly all other game don't; if you fail a race so many times, it gives you the option of skipping over and unlocking the next event, even the game's Boss races have this. If you aren't very good at one type of event, it doesn't stop you from progressing in the game so the game doesn't end up being frustrating. The events are all pretty fun even if you're not great at them.
The environments (from the Himalayas to Patagonia) are beautiful, although there's not enough time to enjoy them because you're always racing down them! The soundtrack is good, a large mix of artists all of which were enjoyable.
SSX instantly brought back many memories of having a party around a friend's house racing spilt screen against each other on like the SSX games on the Playstation 2 and having a laugh. However now in this incarnation the big, and pretty much only, drawback is a lack of this proper multiplayer. No offline split screen and there's no real time online multiplayer either. You can party up and talk to your friends as you play and you can see "ghosts" of each other if you're on a course and close enough to each other, but a lack of head to head racing is real disappointing.
Summary: great nostalgic fun
More reviews in the field of Playstation 3 Game
- I'll take WRC over this any day
- Not bad, but Its definately one for hardcore FPS FANS
- Modern Warfare is still the best Call of Duty game.
- Most Wanted? Not really, although quite desirable
- Bloodstone 007 Ps3 Game Review
- Mr revisits his childhood
- Dynasty Warriors 8 is not Unique
- On the Border of excellence - just misses the mark
- All aboard the sinister minister !
- A man chooses...to play Bioshock
- Grand Theft Auto 4 (PS3)
- Diablo III (PS3)
- Dark Souls II Collector Edition (PS3)
- Dark Souls II Black Armour Edition (PS3)
- Wonderbook: Diggs Nightcrawler (PS3)
- Assassin's Creed 2 : PS3 Essentials (PS3)
- Armoured Core: Verdict Day (PS3)
- Aquapazza: Aquaplus Dream Match (PS3)
- Anarchy Reigns: Limited Edition (PS3)
- Air Conflicts Vietnam (PS3)