Being a bit of a music buff, I decided a few years ago to invest in something I could use to listen whilst on my daily commute to work. I chose this model as it seemed to meet all my requirements, and I haven't been disappointed.
The device itself is about 8cm long and 2cm wide, shaped like a slightly chunky USB stick. It has a removable end cap which covers the USB connector which is used for loading files and recharging the battery. Newer models have a useful clip to attach it to your clothing / belt. It comes in a variety of colours to suit all tastes and looks pretty stylish.
So, what's good about this particular model?
* I like the USB connection which allows you to drag and drop your MP3 files into the right place, whilst being able to see what you're doing on your laptop screen
* I like the screen on the device so you can see what you're choosing easily and efficiently
* The selection process (rotating the "wheel") is simple and seems to be robust (4 years' hard wear from the kids and it's still ok)
* It has a big enough capacity (4G) to keep me well supplied with a wide variety of classical, jazz and rock
* The internal battery lasts a good long time and recharges pretty quickly through the USB connection
* The sound quality doesn't distort at higher volumes and you get a good range of volumes when listening to classical music
* The headphones are decent quality
* It's affordable for ordinary people like us on an ordinary income. Sorry, but we don't have the cash for anything more expensive - and don't need it!
It has been so simple to use that we now have 3 in our family and 1 recommended elsewhere. Our 7 year old manages it perfectly. The version with a clip is great for kids listening whilst wandering around the house.