Newest Review: ... customer service roles, I found myself being the one to initiate or lead these types of conversation. To me customer service is all about... more
how to get good customer service.
Customer Service Adviser
Member Name: sandra_dee
Customer Service Adviser
Date: 16/03/03, updated on 16/03/03 (1149 review reads)
Advantages: see op
Disadvantages: see op
As I work in a supermarket I have had to deal with many customers and their problems.
So I thought I would write a review on how to get good customer service.
1. Speak to the right person; ask to speak to the department manager or the duty manager, its no good complaining to someone who can’t sort it out anyway and you’ll only end up explaining it more than once.
2. Remain calm, ranting and raving will get you nowhere,
3. It is also really frustrating trying to explain something to a customer, when they wont let you finish a sentence. Allow the staff to say what they want to say without interruption. Hear them out and then reply.
4. If you are returning something that is faulty do you have everything you need. The item, the receipt and are you in the right building. I’ve had people bringing things back that we don’t even sell, they were in the wrong supermarket, doing the usual ranting and raving. Having prepared what they were going to say they then have to leave with their tail between their legs, when you tell them we don’t even sell it.
5. Make sure you have your facts right. Have you read the sign/paperwork correctly you would not believe the amount of people that are proved wrong,
Every day I get customers telling me that a sign says buy one get one free, I tell them it doesn’t. They rant about it and say, “I’ll show you” storming off into the store. I tootle along behind knowing full well that I’m right. And on arriving to the product I am proved right. Who looks stupid now, not me that’s for sure? (Not that I enjoy proving customers wrong but when they have been so rude)
6. Plan what you are going to say and clearly explain what your problem is and what you would like to be done about it. And remember what you want is not always possible, due to company policy, but that is not the staff’s fault they are following compa
ny procedure, they did not make it up. Head office did. If necessary speak to them.
7. With food, if you go direct to the manufacturer not just the supplier you can often get a better result. If you write to them telling them that you recently bought an item of theirs and it was not up to their usual standard, many companies send you vouchers which have a value way above the item itself. By returning it to the supermarket, it is usually just replaced and/or refunded.
8. When ringing a company, they all seem to have these automated systems. Press 1 for, press 2, for press 3 for, the list goes on and on. By the time you get to the end you cant remember which one most suited you and your quietly losing the will to live and think you never get to speak to a human being. The first question they usually ask is, if you have a touch-tone phone press # twice, don’t press it. They then think you don’t have one and transfer you to a human to help you. Much quicker
9. And finally when I have had a problem and I feel that it has been dealt with and resolved to my satisfaction I thank the people involved. If you leave the store on a good note you will be remembered for that.
10. So to sum up. Remain calm, be polite, be clear and your much more likely to get what you want.
Hope some of this has been helpful
I just though I would add some funny things that customers have done and said.
I had a customer bring a knife back because they said it was too sharp and would be too dangerous to have in the house because they had young children.
I had a lady yelling at me telling me that a product was on 2 for the price 3. I said, “I don’t think it is” trying to tell her she had it the wrong way round. But she wouldn’t let me finish. She then shouted for a few minutes until her husband told her to shut and told her what I was trying to.
I’ve had a gentleman return s
ome 2ply toilet paper because it was faulty. You know when it ends up offset. He had unrolled a full packet and re-rolled them.
I’ve had customers ask me which type of lightbulb they need or which size batteries will fit in their machine. And then are not happy when I cant tell them!!
And finally a customer came to me to complain about the customer restaurant, which wasn’t my department, but he wanted to complain that he had just had a meal, which he said was excellent but that the meal did not look like the picture on the menu. The picture had showed four small potatoes and he had received 3 large ones.
More reviews in the field of Profession / Occupation
- My time's my own
- Work or Study, But Most Importantly LIVE
- The best thing I ever did!
- Face to Face
- Dreadful course materials, Zero support, but happy to take your cash!
- Not for everyone
- There's always going to be a need for carers
- You're either a natural with customers or you aren't, its not something you can ...
- Looking into doing Community Care Work? Read this first!