Newest Review: ... more 'reserved' to visit. Clubs and hangouts such as Liquid, Espionage and The Priory frustrate me: 14 year olds donning white PVC mini... more
It's good, it's bad, it's okay - I don't know!
Member Name: machar
Date: 31/05/01, updated on 31/05/01 (159 review reads)
Advantages: depends when you go!
Disadvantages: depends when you go!
This is a funny place and has a funny name to go with it. This drinking establishment (you can't call it a pub!) is called Estaminet. Funny place, funny name. If anyone knows what the name means please tell me!
Estaminet is situated on the edge of the city centre so is a good place to head to first or to meet up with friends. I would describe it as a place where the cool funky people hang out! The first time I was here I was meeting friends and it was a good night. There are large comfortable sofas dotted about with large leather armchairs. It has a very open feel and is very homely as there is also an open fire. The lighting is very subdued and the DJ in the corner was playing unobtrusive music. The selection of beer was good with Stella, Czech beer and the usual lagers on tap. The bar is quite large and we had no problem getting served.
However, the above description was from a Thursday night. When we next visited it was on a Friday and it was a completely different story. The set up was the same with the nice lighting and funky acid jazz music but everything else had changed for the worse! The place was absolutely packed and they kept letting people in. The area in front of the bar was the only place to stand and it was pandemonium. People were pushing past to get to the bar and you had to dodge dripping pints and lit cigarettes. Getting served was a nightmare and, to be honest, we wished we'd never bothered. This was the worst pint of Stella I have ever tasted in my life! I don't know what they had done to it but it was foul!
We couldn't wait to leave and I don't think I'll be back for a while. If you don't like crowds then avoid it at the weekend. However, during the week it is quite a relaxing place to go. They have a different DJ on every night but the music is normally laid back acid jazz dance music. They serve tapas during the day and there is a large seating area upstairs for eat
ing. I don't know if I will go back but if I do, I'll make sure that it's during the week!
More reviews in the field of Pub / Bar National
- Abbaye in Bromley - great in the sun!
- not a student pub
- The new Crab Apple.
- A question of Wether you can put up with the service
- once you`ve arrived you`ll never want to leave!
- How to break the smoking ban liquid style!
- A blast from the past
- A Huffer Is To Essex What A Cornish Pasty Is To Cornwall!
- Keep the night life burning in Northampton!
- A free film, pint and a pose for Monday night!
- The Britannia Inn (Northampton)
- The Railway Hotel (Lytham)
- The Rob Roy (London)
- Black Bull Inn (Midlothian)
- The Crab and Dragon Pub (Camberley)
- The George Abbot (Guildford)
- Millsy's Cafe Bar (Coventry)
- The White Lion Public House (Coventry)
- The Holyhead Public House (Coventry)
- The Earsldon Cottage Wine Bar (Coventry)