Product Type: Paxo Ready Meals
Newest Review: ... so I try and not serve too many at a time! On the reverse is a little history of how Paxo was developed by John Crampton, a butcher f... more
Paxo Sage and Onion Stuffing
Member Name: star3683
Paxo Sage and Onion Stuffing
Advantages: great quality, tasty, versatile.
Disadvantages: can be a little pricey
One item that is a must on a Sunday roast if you are cooking Pork or Chicken is stuffing. There are all types of different stuffing's out there but one that I like the most is Sage and Onion. Paxo is a well-known brand of stuffing and according to the box they have been making it for over 100 years. Personally I normally buy the supermarkets own brand but the last time I went to Tesco the Paxo stuffing was on offer so I thought I might as well buy it.
You can buy Paxo sage and onion stuffing mix from most supermarkets and at Tesco a 85g box is currently priced at £0.40 although when I purchased it there was an offer on and I paid just £0.25. You can also buy the stuffing in various different sized larger boxes too but as there are only two of us in our home and the fact we have a tiny kitchen the smaller boxes work really well.
The paxo stuffing mix comes packaged in a cardboard box and you can find all the necessary information about the stuffing on the box. This includes nutritional information, ingredients listings, allergy advice, a cooking tip and cooking instructions. Inside the box you will find the dried stuffing mix contained in a clear plastic bag.
It states on the front of the 85g box that it will serve 4-5 people, I usually use half the box for the two of us so think this is an accurate statement. To make the stuffing you simply:
- Empty the contents of the box into a bowl
- Add 260ml (9fl.oz) of boiling water and a knob of butter (if desired) and mix well.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes
- Place in an ovenproof dish and bake for 25-30 mins or form into balls and bake for 20-25 mins.
You can also make the stuffing in a microwave but I have never attempted this and have always been a little worried about the stuffing ending up rubbery as I like the slightly crispy outside that the oven gives it.
I only serve stuffing with chicken and pork as I find that it complements white meat much better than red but obviously this is just my own personal opinion. I tend to always make the stuffing into balls, firstly because I like the soft texture in the middle compared to the slightly crunchy outside you get. Secondly because it is far easier to serve that way especially if you have guests you can simply pop a ball or two onto each plate and no one will argue that someone has more than someone else either. You can also use the mix as a stuffing, as the name suggests but adding it to the cavity of a chicken or popping it into the centre of a joint of meat before cooking.
Now as much as I like to eat stuffing on my Sunday roast I also find it a great little kitchen cupboard essential for other meals too. I make coated pork chops by simply dipping a chop into an egg wash then into the stuffing mix with a packet of crushed ready salted crisps added to it then bake them in the oven. The chops then end up with a lovely tasty, crispy coating. Or when making a cottage pie I add in a tablespoon of the stuffing mix to the meat mixture this not only helps to thicken the gravy but also adds a lovely taste from the sage and the onion to add a nice twist to the pie.
Personally I love the taste of sage and onion stuffing and the Paxo version is great quality and has an excellent balance of flavours with just the right amount of sage and onion. It can be a little on the pricy side compared to the supermarkets own brand stuffing's but it is worth looking out for offers as it is a great quality, tasty item. Overall this is certainly a product that I will continue to purchase and would recommend as it is a kitchen cupboard staple that can be used on its own or to make dishes more exciting.
Summary: A great quaility, versatile, tasty stuffing mix!
More reviews in the field of Ready Meals
- ~ * Better Than I Thought...* ~
- Tasty and crispy Curly Fries.
- Tasty, filling and low in calories...what more could you want!
- Pizza that would make Mario himself proud!
- A taste of Italy in your home....
- Nearly as good as pizza hut, delish!
- Pizza Express Margherita Pizza
- Personalised Pizza Prepared with Precision!
- Chicken in a minute (or six!).
- Easy Pilau!
- Knorr Spaghetteria Pasta Ai Funghi
- Knorr Spaghetteria Pasta Alla Panna
- Knorr Spaghetteria Pasta Alla Parmesana
- Knorr Spaghetteria Pasta Asciutta
- Knorr Spaghetteria Pasta Spinaci
- Sainsbury's Tomato Pesto & Mozzarella Quiche
- Dalepak Vegetable Crispbakes
- Weight Watchers Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Tesco Finest Lamb Moussaka
- Quorn Crispy Chicken Style Nuggets