Product Type: Quorn Ready Meals
Newest Review: ... kind used for frozen chips. On both the fresh and the frozen packaging it has the Quorn logo on front with some information on the product.... more
Quorn mince - not just for vegetarians!
Member Name: alicet8
Date: 22/03/12, updated on 22/03/12 (82 review reads)
Advantages: Healthier, versatile, filling.
Quorn has always been one of those things that people who have never tried it turn their noses up at but I genuinely think that they are missing out on a great product. Growing up with vegetarian parents I couldn't wait to try "real" mince once I left home but I immediately went straight back to Quorn because I preferred it so much more.
Quorn is essentially a meat substitute made from a protein called mycoprotein that is extracted from a fungus. That may all sound a bit weird but i promise that it does taste good! All this means that Quorn is a good source of protein for vegetarians as well.
I think that there is a misconception that Quorn products are tasteless but I have always proven people wrong on this point after they have actually tried it. I have in the past served Quorn dishes to people and often no one has noticed that they weren't eating meat until I have told them.
The true beauty of Quorn is just how versatile it is. You can make any number of dishes using it and it takes flavouring so well. I think my favourite has to be shepherd's pie. It cooks so quickly so it is perfect for mid-week when there is less time for cooking and it will always provide a delicious and filling meal.
This definitely isn't just a product for vegetarians. Quorn has a lot less fat content than meat and so it is considered to be healthier and so is perfect for someone on a diet or for people who just generally want to be healthier. As the texture is so similar to meat it really isn't a noticeably different change for most people.
Quorn mince can be found in the freezer section. A bag will easily feed four people. At £1.89 a bag it is even cheaper than most meat alternatives, especially as it is one of those products that are often on offer.
Summary: Great meat substitute for use in many meals.
More reviews in the field of Ready Meals
- pretty authentic korma for a pretty good price
- Sausages with a twist - and meat-free.
- Unimpressive Delivery from Uncle Ben!
- Good tasting southern fried chicken breast.
- This could be a mexican disaster
- Chicken in a minute (or six!).
- Easy Pilau!
- Pizza's for a pound!
- Crispy Beef.
- A taste of Mexico from home.
- Conte Decesare Peeled Tomatoes
- Inzersdorfer Chicken In Sweet Paprika Sauce
- Inzersdorfer Lentils Stew With Dumpling
- Inzersdorfer Pasta And Ham
- Inzersdorfer Pea Stew With Sausage
- Tesco Three Bean Salad
- Asda Extra Special Carrot & Butternut Squash Crush
- Oak Lane Spaghetti Letters
- Linda McCartney Cheese, Leek & Red Onion Lattice
- Tivall Garlic Butter Kievs