Product Type: Tulip Ready Meals
Newest Review: ... but I was astounded by the amount of grease that dripped off them and onto my baking tray. This immediately put me off, even though I have ... more
A not so tasty treat
Tulip Cheese And Bacon Grills
Member Name: sassypat456
Tulip Cheese And Bacon Grills
Advantages: Well priced, convenient
Disadvantages: Taste horrible!
I was having a bit of a junk food day today so decided to have some of these cheese and bacon grills for lunch, as I remember liking them years ago.
Made by Tulip, there are four 'grills' in a pack and they consist of chopped bacon, with a cheese topping, coated in breadcrumbs.
They can be fried, grilled or oven baked and I chose to bake them as I avoid frying, and always burn or undercook things when I use the grill!
These cooked nicely in around 20 minutes but I was astounded by the amount of grease that dripped off them and onto my baking tray. This immediately put me off, even though I have had them before and knew they were unhealthy.
To reduce the oil levels I blotted the grills with paper towels before eating them and this left them crisp and dry, so all was looking good until I tasted them and was dismayed at the processed, not very meaty taste and the salt overload on my tongue.
I feel I cannot properly describe the taste of these but they had no real bacon taste, and instead tasted like a mix of different meats, finely minced together, with the cheese topping being tasty enough but quite rubbery and very salty.
Despite the fact that I used to enjoy these I was unable to finish them and instead gave them to my husband who loved them and polished them off within seconds. I am not sure if my tastebuds have changed, or if the product has, but I won't be buying these again.
The nutritional content is as follows;
per 100g (grill uncooked)
Energy kCal 284
Energy kJ 1,181
Protein 15.0 g
Carbohydrate 13.4 g
of which sugars 2.3 g
Fat 18.9 g
of which saturates 6.0 g
Fibre 1.2 g
Sodium 1.2 g
Costing £1.69 a pack from Sainsburys, these cheese and bacon grills are pretty good value, especially as they are often on offer with two packs for £3. Unfortunately the price will not tempt me to eat them again in a hurry.
Summary: Try for yourself as I'm not sure if it's just me...
More reviews in the field of Ready Meals
- Tesco Value Lasagne
- a healthy snack
- Quorn at its best
- I MAY BE INNOCENT - BUT I SURE GOT SOME SPICE!
- Give the phone a rest, instead of calling for a takeaway spend 10 minutes warmin ...
- Spaghetti Rings
- My favourite of all the quiches
- Perfect for Spaghetti Bolognese
- A Taste of my Childhood, Revisited
- A childhood memory revisited - with unpleasant results
- Tesco Crispy Chicken Fillets With Sweet&Sour Sauce
- Redwood Vegi-deli Sage and Onion Slices
- Tesco 'Value' Chicken Curry With Vegetables
- Tesco Value Bacon Flavour Instant Noodles
- Tesco Value Curry Flavour Instant Noodles
- Knorr Meisterkessel Veal Lights
- Knorr Rizibizi Chicken Zucchini Rice
- Knorr Spaghetteria Panna E Prosciutto
- Knorr Meisterkessel Rice Meat
- Knorr Rizibizi Champignon Herbs Rice