We purchased a home from Bovis in 2009.
We have had a whole list of complaints:-
1) Broken front door lock, door replaced by bovis.
2) Water leak between flooring, bovis repaired.
3) 2nd water leak through house from top floor, bad connection by Bovis plumbers. Had to claim off our insurance for re:decoration & new carpets.
4) Recessed lighting in bathroom & kitchen. Burnt out transformers, replaced at our cost.
5) Explosion in kitchen floor. After having the NHBC out, they decided that it was not structural, but bad workmanship on Bovis's part. They had not left expansion joints between tiles, the floor had not been "primed" before the tiles were layer, and the tiles had been laid on concrete dust, so were not stuck to floor in places. We also have a very bad concrete split in the kitchen floor which will have to be seen too before re:tiling. Quote to repair £4000, the insurance will not pay for this, and Bovis are not interested.
If this dose not put you off buying a Bovis home you must have money to waste.
Purchased a Bovis home second hand only one previous owner still in years 3-10 of NHBC Warranty.
Thought we would be green and add to the minimum insulation as provided by BOVIS, we were unable to carry this out due to the bad practice of builders rubble being dumped in the wall cavity. NHBC cant help BOVIS not interested, other points to make they don't plaster skim the walls so if you want to re- tile your kitchen or bathroom you have to either tile over or take off and replace plaster board. Thats interesting this exposes the electrical installation this is a joke and would be very easy to drill into a wire as they dont follow the Electical installation guidelines and put in straight up onad down lines to sockets switches etc.
Floor creak very loudly and there is no insulation against noise so you hear people using the loo.
Very poor build.
This is the problems we have had with Bovis homes so far, and a letter we have sent to BBC Watchdog.
For some time now we have been trying to buy a new Bovis home in Swindon and have had nothing but problems. We decided to do a home part-exchange with Bovis and agreed a price for our old house and for the new one.
The first problem came when we did not tell the lender the list price of the new home, we told them the purchase price, however, this was picked up and we had to change lenders and start again. This put us back by 2 weeks. We feel that Bovis should have told informed us that it was the list price that we needed to inform the Mortgage Company of at the beginning.
Next Bovis sent a surveyor to our home who picked up on four things that needed doing, one of which was the bathroom floor, which we admit was damaged, one was some cleaning, which we did and the other two items were the tiles in the bathroom, which they said were incomplete and needed to be finished, this could not be done as the tiles had been there for 20 years and so there is no way of matching them up and the final item was the drain in our back garden that the surveyor said was partly blocked. This drain was backed up about a year before due to the drain in the street outside the property boundary being block. We unblocked this, and we have had not problems since. Also as good as the surveyor maybe we would really like to know how he could tell if the drain was partly blocked if no water was poured down the drain to check the flow?
In the meantime Bovis found a buyer for our house (which we showed around) and they were happy with the tiles in the bathroom since they were going to redo everything to let the property out.
We were still waiting for our mortgage offer at this time but Bovis were still insisting that we redo the bathroom and pay to have the drain looked at, a drain that is Thames Waters responsibility. We contacted the water company and they said they would look into it; this did not seem good enough for Bovis.
Bovis also wanted us to pay £150 Land Registry fee on the property we were selling to them, and also a £250 redemption fee in case we left the property in a mess when we left. Bovis backed down on the Land Registry fee on 9th March but not the redemption fee.
On the 10th March we received a phone call about the mortgage offer saying that the surveyor had down valued our new property by nearly £29000 off the list price. This worked out that we would be paying £9000 more that what the surveyor said it was worth. Bovis' reaction to this was that it is only one mans opinion, but this is a professional who is paid to value properties for a living and as far as we can see and to everyone else that we have spoken to, what he says goes.
On 13th March we contacted Bovis to ask them what was going on. They said the original deal stood, to which we responded that it was not acceptable and we would think about what we would do.
On 14th March we put in a new offer of £5000 below the surveyors valuation, which we knew, would be turned down, and it was, so we offered the valuation price. We then had to wait the whole weekend and were promised an answer by the close of play on 16th March. We got no answer until the 17th March. They had turned down our offer.
On 20th March our mortgage offer came in so we went back to Bovis and said we had the money you either accept the offer or we walk away, to which Bovis went into a panic and the regional Sales Manager went to find the Managing Director who was unavailable. So we had to wait over the Easter Holiday not knowing if we were getting the house or not. We also informed our Solicitor, who told them the same.
After Easter we were expecting a call on 25th March but heard nothing. We contacted our Solicitor on 26th March and he had not heard anything. On 28th March we contacted Bovis to find out what was happening and at 12:45pm they told us we could have the house at the new offer price. Great we thought, however they wanted us to complete by March 31st giving us 2 days to do this in. We said no way, our Solicitor said not possible and that was the last we heard, although we did inform Bovis that we would try and exchange contracts on the 31st March.
Also we were promised a path by Bovis to run from our back gate to our patio so that we would not walk mud all over our new carpets when we moved in. They have taken this away from us just so they can save £300.
Our Solicitor was unable to see us on the March 31st so we went in on April 1st and signed all the paper work. Bovis could not do the exchange on April 1st so we thought they would exchange on April 2nd with a completion of April 10th.
On April 2nd we had a phone call saying that Bovis would not exchange until the buyer for our property was ready to exchange, as they wanted to tie everything in together but not to worry, as we would still be completing on April 10th as we were told the buyer was waiting for a couple of documents and would be ready to go.
This was a home part-exchange with Bovis and the buyer is nothing to do with us.
Bovis then claimed that because we did not exchange on 31st March it was there end of quarter so now everything had to be tied to the buyer. We were told we would exchange on 4th April so we could complete on the Thursday 10th.
On Tuesday 8th, the buyer sent into his Solicitors a personal cheque and was told that this was not good enough as it would take 5 working days to clear. His reply was that he could not get to a Bank until Friday 11th and so was told to take into his Solicitor a bankers draft on this day.
On 11th April we contacted our Solicitor to see if the exchange had happened and was told that now the buyer needed a new Mortgage offer, which should come through 14th/15th April.
On 15th April we contacted our Solicitor again to see if the exchange had finally happened and was told that the buyer was still waiting for his amended Mortgage Offer and that this would possibly not come through until the end of that week, Bovis would still not exchange contracts without the buyer being ready and if we walked away at the end of the week, if the exchange had still not taken place, that was up to us. Therefore - we are still waiting to exchange.
When we spoke to the Solicitor they said that Bovis told us from the start that we were in a chain and we would not exchange until the buyer was ready. This is a complete lie; we were never in a chain and can prove it. If we were in a chain why were Bovis more than happy to exchange with us on the 31st March when the buyer was not an issue, however on the 1st April we are in a chain? This does not make any sense to us at all.
We have now asked for a completion date of the 1st May which is only 2 weeks away and as yet we still have no idea if we are moving or not. All of our belongings are packed, our house is a mess because of all the boxes and we are both close to having a breakdown with all the stress.
Bovis do not care about the customers they have and that is not many. All we want to do is hand over our money and move in to our new home but we cannot even give them our money. They are lying about us being in a chain. Why would we enter into a home part-exchange if we were going to be in a chain, we would have sold the house ourselves!!
With the current climate the way it is you would think Bovis would be trying to get us into our new home ASAP but they seem to think that people will walk in of the street and put a deposit down on a new home. With mortgages drying up, they are in for a big shock over the coming months.
If there is anything that you can do to help we would be most grateful and also warn others of the pitfall of buying a home from Bovis.
On a final note Bovis do build the best looking houses on the market at the moment but there customer care is a long way behind. We have found that they are not willing to accept any responsibility for the sale of the house. If anything is wrong then it is the customers fault and that is final. There attitude is that we are only a customer and are not that important so go away and stop bothering us. We thought that going through Bovis we would have an easy time of buying our new home, instead it has turned into a complete nightmare from start to nearly finish.
We purchsed an Enhanced 6 bed Bovis home in December 2007. We are now still living in a work in progress. So far our kitchens have had to be refitted, all doors refitted our garden is unusable and so on. We paid a lot of money for a family home and had ended up with a self build. www.whybovishomes.co.uk details our experience. My advice would be avoid.
Bovis Homes..... we have had nothing but problems with our Bovis home in the 3yrs since we moved in and they have now washed their hands of them, even the NHBC told them at a resolution meeting to complete outstanding jobs, as yet they have not even been back to measure the crack in our outside wall. we have now just found out that the house has no insulation on the external and internal walls. Has any body else had a similar problem, if so please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thinking of buying new well follow my trip through the ups and downs of moving with Bovis Homes. BOO!! We put a £250 deposit down on a new £118,000 Bovis House in February 2002 the biggest mistake of my life. We were told at this time we needed to exchange within 28 days which we did, we were also told our house would be ready at the end of May 2002 which was fine with us. BOO!! One week before we were due to move in we were then told the house wouldn?t be ready till the end of June 2002, this came as a surprise to us as Gillian Greenall (Site Office Manager) had not mentioned this on any of our previous visits. We obviously weren?t very happy with this so wrote a letter of complaint to Brian Smith (Head Office), He told us they?d had slight problems with the weather but it would be definitely ready for the end of June and they would keep us informed of any change in the situation. One week before moving in again we were told there was another month delay, we complained to Brian Smith yet again as nobody had kept us informed until right at the last minute. BOO!! In the meantime we had to move out of our old house. Both Gillian Greenall and Brian Smith never gave us any real reasons to the delays or ever answered any of the questions asked of them, but instead took the attitude of ignore it and it?ll go away. Bovis finally got the house ready again one week later than the final date given to us, it was now August. HURRAY!! We moved in. BOO!! We moved in, little did we know this was only the start of the problems, We moved into the house on the 1st of August only to find stuff was not finished off, things were broken or missing we were told by Peter Popeck (Site Manager) and Gillian Greenall this would be done on the following Monday if we made a list up for them. We made the list including some major repairs such as having a garage door we couldn?t open! Bovis failed to turn up on the Monday, the appointment was rearrange
d for the Thursday again on the Thursday nobody turned up (Peter had forgotten to write it in his diary), this was two days we?d had to take off work to be at the house, we again arranged for the work to be done on the following Thursday, this time somebody turned up but only with half of the equipment so he could only do half of the jobs. After this point we still had a broken garage door, blocked down stairs toilet, broken oven and really badly fitted kitchen. Bovis also failed to turn up for another three appointments, and it was now half way through September. HURRAY!! Bovis came to repair the garage door (after two months, one week). BOO!! But left us with only one remote for a double garage door. HURRAY!! They put a ramp up onto the drive (after two months, three weeks). They also finally replaced half of the kitchen units (after two months, three weeks). BOO!! The end of October and we still had 27 items on the list including a leaking bath. We also had to repair several of the items on the list ourselves. HURRAY!! Christmas! BOO!! Christmas had been and gone and Bovis seemed to forget to finish our jobs. We still had a list of 12 existing jobs to be finished, We sent them a letter on the 5th January reminding them we were still waiting, to which we got the reply your letter will be sorted out in due course, WE?D BEEN WAITING FIVE MONTHS, how long is due course. Other problems had now started to appear such as a crack in the outside wall, and internal and external doors have started to warp out of shape. The roads and pavements had been left in an appalling condition and Bovis failed to tell us when they were going to be completed, this was now getting towards the end of January. HURRAY!! Ian Fairclough finally came to visit us on 4th February to discuss the items on our list. He admitted most of it should have been finished by now. He then told us Bovis had a new system in place and the wor
k wou ld be done shortly. BOO!! He also told us he would ring Wednesday and arrange the appointments, he did indeed ring but it was Friday! HURRAY!! I finally got a three-day appointment with Bovis at the start of March 2003 to finish off all outstanding work, over a year after putting down the deposit. Bovis finally completed the majority of the jobs at this point. HURRAY!! I finally got a proper apology, and all the work completed. It?s just a shame it took nine and a half month to finish. BOO!! Well here we are one year later and what did we get for our anniversary from Bovis, well they cut off our phone connection at Monday 28th July and it took a week and a half to get it back! 'I cannot believe anybody could cut through the cable without noticing, if they'd told us what they'd done we have repaired it same day before they'd laid tarmac over the hole' a quote from the BT engineer. BOO!! I'm still awaiting the full report from Bovis, on the cutting off of the telephone, though we know it was due to the fact Bovis had not laid the cabling deep enough, and still haven't. BOO!! A year and a month later and we still have repairs that need doing! Will it ever end! In fact I was so disappointed with the whole situation that It prompted me to build my own website for both me and the other Bovis Homes customers to express their views you can see it at Bovis Homes Exposed - http://www.bovishomesexposed.com So if you're thinking of buying a new house take heed new doesn't always mean easier specially once Bovis get involved.