Newest Review: ... of quark or fromage frais ~Method~ Step 1 : separate egg whites and whisk until stiff with an electric mixer - takes a few minutes and ... more
Member Name: tigger1992
Advantages: Easy to make, does not require butter and best of all - they taste great!
Disadvantages: Very moreish and addictive!
Christmas Cinnamon Muffins recipe
6 tbsp sunflower oil
280g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
115g soft light brown sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
2 tbspn cinnamon
1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C and either grease a muffin tin or after making the mixture you can spoon the muffin mix into cupcake cases, which is what I do.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt and cinnamon into a large bowl - I use 2 small tbsp of cinnamon as I like the cinnamon flavour to be strong, so you could use less if you wanted. You could also add some ground ginger, nutmeg or mixed spices to make them more christmasy or for children you could add some mini milk chocolate pieces.
3. Stir in the brown sugar into all of the other dry ingredients and mix as so you don't get any lumps of sugar.
4. Break the eggs into a separate bowl and beat lightly. Then gently beat in the milk, oil and golden syrup - the golden syrup can be a little bit difficult to mix in but it does not matter if it is fully combined at this stage.
5. Add the wet mixture of the eggs milk, oil and golden syrup to the dry ingredients and stir until all of the ingredients are combined - but don't over mix as this will make the muffins denser.
6. I then spoon the mixture into cupcake cases. I like to use small cases as then the muffins will be bite size.
7. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes. If you think they are ready, take a clean cocktail stick and press it into the muffin and if the stick comes out with bits of muffin on then they are not ready - leave then in the oven for another few minutes.
8. Once baked fully leave them to cool and then you can leave them as they are and eat them - or you can decorate them, I just sprinkle a small amount of icing sugar onto the muffins.
I would recommend eating these muffins when they are nice and warm, when you have baking them and they have cooled slightly. These muffins will last for about a week if you store them in a cool, dry place. I like to heat these muffins up in the microwave to make them warm (I heat them for about 10 -15 seconds). They make a fantastic breakfast, especially for me as I always start early in the morning for uni and I find that a couple of these muffins keeps me full for at least one 2 hour lecture!
I find that with this recipe you can double or half the ingredients easily to make more or less muffins - with the quantities of the ingredients stated above I find that it makes a lot of small muffins so I don't think you will need to double the ingredients - unless you are making them for lots of family/friends or for a christmas bake sale.
You could add some extras to these muffins such as chocolate, icing, edible decorations, edible paper or you could keep the rest of the ingredients the same and just add some ground ginger (or stem ginger) and make them into gingerbread muffins! Or even cinnamon and apple muffins, by adding one cooking apple to the rest of the ingredients. The possibilities with this recipe are almost endless, as you can add to the recipe easily and the muffins will still come out great. The flexibility and simplicity of this recipe makes it suitable for all and great for the people who do not have a lot of time to bake - and also those who like to add their own take on recipes.
That is my recipe for gorgeous cinnamon muffins, for me cinnamon is really nice anyway but it always reminds me of christmas and this simple recipe that usually take me about half an hour or so is perfect for the festive season! (and any season in my opinion). And one of the best things about this recipe for me (besides the gorgeous muffins I get and the simplicity of the recipe) is that there is no butter in it - so the only 'bad' thing in these muffins is the sugar!
This recipe is already posted on ciao with pictures under my username labellavita1992
Summary: A ease to follow recipe that makes gorgeous cinnamon muffins :)