Newest Review: ... three eggs, sift flour, few drops vanilla essence and a small amount of boiling water and stir until mixed. 3. If the mixture appears a lit... more
Member Name: star3683
Advantages: tasty cakes, can be simple or very creative
Fairy cakes or now more commonly named cupcakes are one of the most fun to make cakes, as you can make them as simple as you like or be very creative with different flavours or decorations. I have a basic recipe that I use to make my cupcakes that can easily be adapted.
150g Self-Raising Flour
1.Cream together the butter and sugar.
2. Add the three eggs, sift flour, few drops vanilla essence and a small amount of boiling water and stir until mixed.
3. If the mixture appears a little too thick add in a little more boiling water.
4. Divide the mixture between 12 cake cases.
Repeat as above but add some cocoa powder and two dessert spoons of golden syrup.
- to make the fairy cakes have flatter tops, bake in a cooler non fan assisted oven and open the oven door a couple of times whilst cooking.
-For a domed top cook on a hotter setting with the fan on.
-Buy good quality cupcake cases and double them up to stop them from changing shape with the weight of the cake mixture.
-Use muffin tins again this helps the cakes retain their shape.
The ways to decorate a cupake is almost endless but here is a few ways that I do mine.
- For flat topped fairy cakes I roll and cut out a circle of fondant icing and place on the top with a little buttercream to help it stick then add a decoration such as a flower or sweet to the top.
- You can also pipe different coloured frosting or butter cream on the top of the fairy cake and leave it plain or add sprinkles or decoration onto the top.
- For dome top fairy cakes you can make them into butterfly cakes by cutting a round piece of the cake out of the dome. Fill the hole with buttercream and place the cut out piece back on top cut in half to look like butterfly wings.
Summary: great, fun cakes