Newest Review: ... of your choice Set oven to 180 degrees C 1. Melt the knob of butter in the pan, then add the chopped bacon and shredded cabbage le... more
Irish Potato Layer Cake
Member Name: Stewwydablue
Advantages: Only four main ingredients, cheap
Disadvantages: That depends on your opinions on the use of bacon and cheese - fatty?
Irish Potato Layer Cake Recipe
This is a firm favourite in my house, especially when we can use our own cabbage and potatoes; however, I am yet to find a packet of seeds from which a pack of blue cheese will grow!
What you'll need:
Pan and lid
Casserole dish and lid
Knob of butter
Cabbage (shredded - Savoy cabbage works well)
Bacon (about 8 slices chopped up)
7 or 8 large potatoes (peeled and thinly sliced)
Shropshire Blue cheese
Herbs of your choice
Set oven to 180 degrees C
1. Melt the knob of butter in the pan, then add the chopped bacon and shredded cabbage leaves. Cover with the lid and turn the heat right down as you don't want the cabbage leaves to wilt into nothing.
2. Use a little bit of butter to grease the inside of the casserole dish - this will ensure that the potatoes don't stick to the sides when you start to add the "layers" of the "cake".
3. Once the dish is greased, place your thinly sliced potatoes in a layer which covers the bottom of the dish. Then add some of the bacon, cabbage and crumble some of the cheese over this as well.
4. Add another layer of potatoes on top of this base layer, then again add the bacon, cabbage and cheese.
5. Repeat this process until you get to the last, uppermost layer of potato slices and you have used all your bacon, cheese and cabbage. Season this "naked" top layer of potatoes with the salt, pepper, and drizzle some of the oil over them. Also, add the herbs you have selected (Rosemary works well with this recipe).
6. Place the lid on the dish and put in the oven for 1hr 30mins, but at 1hr 15mins remove the lid to allow the top layer of potatoes to brown up a bit.
7. Take great care to avoid the steam that will escape when removing the casserole dish lid - use oven gloves and keep your face well away from the superheated cloud.
8. Serve and enjoy - goes well with a cheddar cheese sauce (Dooyoo review for cheese sauce on its way!).
Summary: Very tasty and very basic recipe, very filling too!
More reviews in the field of Recipe
- Gambas Al Ajillo - Garlic Prawns
- Calling all diabetics, budget shoppers, and dieters of any kind...
- Easy after dinner mints!
- Garlic - The Natural Way!
- Yogurt, naturally.
- Onions no no no!
- Completely Vegan completely delicious chocolate cake
- Cheese & Pepper Spaghetti
- Banana and Carrot Cake
- Toasted Sandwich Recipes