Newest Review: ... ==Mike's Indian Style Curry Recipe== ===Spice Mix=== 1 & 1/2 Tablespoons Garam... more
I've never yet met someone that didn't like this simple dish!
Member Name: redhead78
Advantages: Quick, simple, delicious
Disadvantages: You'll have to print several copies of the recipe!
If you're looking for a quick, simple but extremely delicious and impressive dish to serve to friends and family then look no further! It comes from my favourite ever cookbook (you know the one, every family has one, the book that all the old-school family favourite meals come from! In our case it's Mary Berry's Meat Cook Book - sadly now out of print and only available from charity shops or eBay) and so comes to you courtesy of Mary Berry via a couple of little tweaks by me and my mum.
Ingredients (serves 4):
4 x chicken breasts
12 closed cup mushrooms (although I always add more 'cos I love 'em!)
small can of condensed mushroom soup (295g)
small tub of double cream (150ml)
- Place chicken breasts in an ovenproof dish (my mum leaves hers whole but I like to cut mine up into bite size pieces as I think they stay more juicy and tender like this, the whole breasts can get a bit dry for my tastes).
- Sprinkle 4-5 teaspoons of paprika over the chicken (I started using normal paprika but have since switched to smoked paprika due to a shopping mistake but both are equally as nice...why not try half and half if you're feeling adventurous!).
- Cover the chicken with the mushrooms (I thickly slice mine, mum quarters hers, but again, either way works).
- In a small bowl combine the soup with the double cream then pour over the chicken and mushrooms. Add a decent grinding of black pepper - you can also add salt if you want, but I find that the salt from the soup is enough.
This can then either be kept in the fridge until later (it's so quick to make I do it in a morning before work so I just have to stick it in the oven when I get back) or can go straight into an oven pre-heated to 170 for about 40 minutes.
This is a really yummy dish anyway, but one of the things I like best is it's versatility. For a dinner with friends I tend to serve it with either roast or mashed potatoes and vegetables or for an easy midweek meal with the hubby it goes equally well with rice or as a jacket potato topping (another reason I prefer to chop the chicken into chunks rather than leave it whole).
Everyone that I've served it to always thinks it's a really difficult dish to make and must be really complicated because the cream and soup combination turns into a really thick creamy sauce during cooking and I have yet to serve it to anyone that doesn't devour every mouthful...even my incredibly fussy eater aunt who won't eat any "foreign muck" and definitely wouldn't knowingly eat paprika, hence why we didn't tell her what was in it the first time! And if you give this to anyone for dinner be prepared to have to copy the recipe for them :)
Whilst this dish wouldn't win any "weight loss" awards, the only really calorific thing in it is the cream, which can be justified (in my mind at least) by serving plenty of fresh vegetables to accompany it (steamed broccoli, leeks and green beans work for me), and if serving with mashed potato you can always use low fat creme fraiche in those rather than butter, to further ease your calorie-conscience!
Total cost for this dish for 4 people (excluding what I would consider to be store cupboard ingredients of paprika and black pepper) is:
Chicken breasts £4.00
Closed cup mushrooms £1.18
Condensed mushroom soup 95p (also available as a low fat version)
Double cream 65p
Total = £6.78 (prices taken from Tesco)
Summary: A tasty, simple versatile dish suitable for a "proper" dinner or an easy mid-week meal
More reviews in the field of Recipe
- Fruity Tipple!
- Coconut Cake For Slimmers!
- Easy-peasy choc chunk shortbread - Homemade gift idea!
- Spinach and ricotta tortellini with roasted vegetables
- Braised Pork Shoulder Steaks and Apple Mash
- Leftover Croquettes
- Prawn and Tomato Spaghetti
- Mine and Millie's favourite!
- Lovely moist low fat lemon cake with blueberries