Newest Review: ... one, this is something that I will often make the day after having a roast chicken dinner as with there only two of us in our home there ... more
Carrot and Lentil Soup- Simply the best!
Member Name: Lools_24
Date: 07/11/09, updated on 15/11/11 (166 review reads)
Advantages: Tasty , healthy, my favourite
Disadvantages: None in my opinion
I mentioned in a previous review that I am obsessed with homemade carrot and lentil soup. In fact I really can't get enough of it and could probably live of the stuff. A few members suggested I posted my recipe which I am happy to do but as a word of warning it's nothing fancy and pretty simple but tastes great. Hope you enjoy
Makes 10 - 12 Servings
-1kg carrots - Peeled and chopped into small slice
-7 sticks celery- Chopped into small squares
-350g lentils, rinsed
-1 large onion- Finely chopped
-2 vegetable stock cubes- mixed with 2 litres of boiling water
-Salt and pepper
You will need a large soup pan and a blender (preferably a hand blender).
1) Add oil to the soup pan and fry the onions for 7-10 minutes until golden. Add about 200ml of stock and boil for a further 5 minutes.
2) Add 1 litre of stock and add the chopped carrots and celery and cook on a medium heat for 20 minutes. Add a around 1 tbsp black pepper and a small sprinkle of salt (this is personal taste and I only add around ¼ of a tsp of salt. Stir regularly.
3) Add the lentils and the remaining stock and cook for another 20 minutes on a low/ medium heat. Stir regularly.
4) The soup is cooked and can be eaten as a chunky soup however it is better suited as a "smooth" soup.
5) Take the soup off the heat and use a hand blender to make the soup smooth in the pan. Put back on the heat to ensure the soup is hot enough
6) If you are using a food processor/ blender allow the soup to cool slightly first before blending. Then put back on the heat.
7) Serve and enjoy. Add further salt and pepper if necessary.
There you have my favourite soup, which is simple but very tasty. The recipe does make a large quantity but as I go through a large amount of this soup it is worth making in such a large quantity. Good news is that it reheats well and also can be frozen.
Summary: My homemade carrot and lentil soup
More reviews in the field of Recipe
- My Virtually Fat Free Meaty Primavera Pasta Sauce
- My Goodness - it's Guinness!
- Fishy on the dishy
- Airy Fairy Muffins
- Hooverbag chicken (well, Moroccan chicken)
- Easy and Quick Snack for Lunch - Mediterranean Cheese Baguette
- Sweet and Fruity
- Tomato or Veg?
- Nice Rice - A Dish with No Name
- Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted...