Newest Review: ... one, this is something that I will often make the day after having a roast chicken dinner as with there only two of us in our home there ... more
Onion and Tomato Soup with Potato... Two classics combined, what could be better?
Member Name: bethan-bean
Advantages: Quick, Simple, Healthy but still full of flavour - perfect for a busy day.
Disadvantages: Sometimes you just can't stop.
I created this recipe when I was about 15 - wondering why my mother loved Onion soup and Tomato soup, but never tried the two together. I made in the offchance as an experiement for my Food class in school, and voila. It worked surprisingly well... So here it is...
4 crushed garlic cloves,
1 large potato,
Carton of creamed tomatoes,
1½ pint of vegetable stock (or made quickly with 2 vegetable stock cubes),
Salt and pepper.
1. Half the potatoes and cut them into thin slice, finely slice the Onion,
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan, fry the onions, garlic, potato and paprika for 5 minutes, until onions are soft.
3. Add tomatoes and stock.
4. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes have cooked through.
5. Mix cornflour and water to create a paste and stir in, simmer for 5 minutes until thickened.
6. Break potatoes up slightly (with spoon) and season.
Its simple and easy, but works surprisingly well. The potatoes give it a weight that you often lack with homemade onion or tomato soups (who hasn't accidentally added too much stock?!), and seasoning to taste pleases everybody.
Always nice to do as a quick evening meal or lunch when you're running out of time but want something healthy and tasty as well.
Summary: Onion and Tomato Soup with Potato, a healthy and quick meal.
More reviews in the field of Recipe
- Slow cooked CHICKEN CASSEROLE - tender and delicious
- Haggis Lasagne!
- Whoop Whoop - Snowflake Vanilla Whoopies
- Make mine a MOJITO!
- Carrot and Corriander soup
- Simple dessert: delicious chocolate and gingerbread pots
- Spiritwood's fantabulous bean feast of delight and enchantment...
- Simple Paella
- Pack up!