Newest Review: ... cheap to make so would suit families who are on a budget. This soup is also suitable for vegetarians. Preparation time - 15 mins Cooki... more
Onion and Tomato Soup with Potato... Two classics combined, what could be better?
Member Name: bethan-bean
Advantages: Quick, Simple, Healthy but still full of flavour - perfect for a busy day.
Disadvantages: Sometimes you just can't stop.
I created this recipe when I was about 15 - wondering why my mother loved Onion soup and Tomato soup, but never tried the two together. I made in the offchance as an experiement for my Food class in school, and voila. It worked surprisingly well... So here it is...
4 crushed garlic cloves,
1 large potato,
Carton of creamed tomatoes,
1½ pint of vegetable stock (or made quickly with 2 vegetable stock cubes),
Salt and pepper.
1. Half the potatoes and cut them into thin slice, finely slice the Onion,
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan, fry the onions, garlic, potato and paprika for 5 minutes, until onions are soft.
3. Add tomatoes and stock.
4. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes have cooked through.
5. Mix cornflour and water to create a paste and stir in, simmer for 5 minutes until thickened.
6. Break potatoes up slightly (with spoon) and season.
Its simple and easy, but works surprisingly well. The potatoes give it a weight that you often lack with homemade onion or tomato soups (who hasn't accidentally added too much stock?!), and seasoning to taste pleases everybody.
Always nice to do as a quick evening meal or lunch when you're running out of time but want something healthy and tasty as well.
Summary: Onion and Tomato Soup with Potato, a healthy and quick meal.
More reviews in the field of Recipe
- Slow cooked CHICKEN CASSEROLE - tender and delicious
- Tuna Pasta Bake
- Haggis Lasagne!
- Whoop Whoop - Snowflake Vanilla Whoopies
- Make mine a MOJITO!
- Carrot and Corriander soup
- You will go nuts for this sugary treat: Sugared Pistacchios
- Stuff them mushrooms!
- Rowan berry jam
- Tablet - God's gift to Scotland